Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
jmh Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
J
I'll take Maverick's idea and set up a separate thread for comments/thoughts, so we can let the main thread be as easily navigable as possible.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
No potentially cluttering witticisms here, just wanted to offer an early-morning demonstration of my admiration and appreciation for a thoughtful and well-researched topic. [bouquet-of-flowers emoticon]

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Whoa, thank you, Jo for going to all that trouble!
Two things: it might be helpful to point out that the things (menu?) in the dark pink bar at the very top of the page apply to AWAD, not AWADtalk. It took me ages to realize that clicking Search up there would not let me search the bulletin board. (Well, dang it, I didn't use Search very often...)

Second--why do you right-click on a post (it has never, ever occurred to me to do that), and go to properties?
How does that help in copying, please? I just highlight what I want, then go up to edit and click copy. Is your way faster somehow? (I'm afraid, in my ignorance, to try.)

J
jmh Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
J
>it might be helpful to point out that the things (menu?) in the dark pink bar at the very top of the page apply to AWAD, not AWADtalk

Yes, I agree. It is very confusing, I'll point it out.

>why do you right-click on a post (it has never, ever occurred to me to do that), and go to properties?

For copying and pasting, what you do is fine. It is only if you want to set up a link that you need to look at "properties", that is how I get the AWAD post number. I've couched in in fairly circumspect terms as there might be an easier way that I am not aware of.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>...there might be an easier way that I am not aware of.

there's *another way, but I don't know if it's easier -- I copy and paste it right out of the browser's address... goto... whatever-the-technical-name-is for that small window which shows the current web address, using control-C... control-V.

J
jmh Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
J

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
jo, an afterthought to my last q&a post, do you think we should post a link to the latin-1 ascii character set in your information thread, with instructions for use?

J
jmh Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
J
>do you think we should post a link to the latin-1 ascii character set in your information thread, with instructions for use?

Fine, you hum it and i'll add it.

(PS Alternatively send me a message with a link, I've found http://www.bbsinc.com/iso8859.html but I'm not really up to writing a "how to guide" on the subject, don't you just write: "& # 1 3 5" for ‡. I tend to post in letters like Ñ from Word (insert symbol) although it looks like E=MC2 didn't carry over the superscript.

[edit] I've just spotted this site, which is easier for copying and pasting: http://www.endsite.com/therest/webhelp/iso-latin-1-js.asp

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
RE: endsite.com, etc.--
Well, that really didn't make a whole lot of sense at first
glance, but that EYE is so creepy, it scared me away!

RE: copying from the address box--I just highlight it with
my mouse. I have no clue what the Control button does
except let me highlight more than one e-mail at a time, when I'm deleting. (Told you-all I'm computer-illiterate.)

Jo, I confess your last sentence made almost no sense to me at all. Ñ I can do. That Word thing--isn't that some kind of program? And E=MC2 didn't carry--?? I don't know what you mean by superscript.

Tsuwm, I still have your Ramsch (sp?) site as a Favorite, and I can follow it now if I struggle.

J
jmh Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
J
Jackie, I assume you mean http://www.ramsch.org/martin/uni/fmi-hp/iso8859-1.html

You can do the same with both sites, just copy and paste, so if you want a ², copy either the ² or "& # 1 7 8" - ² but some people prefer to use alt-number instead.

The bit about MC² was that I tried to write it in Microsoft Word (using the superscript option) then copy and paste it in but it didn't work.

#19358 02/17/01 10:38 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
If any of you fellow cave-dwelling Mac users out there [echo-echo-echo emoticon] would like to know how to perform any of the above-mentioned operations, please spelunk your way over to me via private message.

#19359 02/17/01 10:43 PM
J
jmh Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
J
We could have a whole section for Mac users. I can see big words, glitter, lights .. it will be ... fantastic! [getting carried away emoticon]

#19360 02/17/01 11:43 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
now if there were only some way to keep the "helpful hints' thread up on top, without adding drivel to it. (I think we've hinted for help on this from the man behind the curtain before, to no avail.) [say, we could turn TMBTC into an indecipherable (and unpronouncable) initialism!!]

#19361 02/18/01 01:20 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
TIMbitsee

And thank you for the [pre] suggestion.
I guess, when the Hints thread gets to the bottom, somebody
could just make a putting-back-up-to-the-top post, no drivel included.

#19362 02/18/01 01:50 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
tsuwm writes:

now if there were only some way to keep the "helpful hints' thread up on top, without adding drivel to it.

if jmh were to periodically edit his initial post, even by adding a "." to the end, then deleting it the next time, etc., wouldn't the server pick it up as a "new" post?

it'd be extra work for him, but since he took so much time to create the thread in the first place, he might be willing to do so for the benefit of us newbies.

wish i'd had the opportunity to benefit from these when i started no so long ago... might've avoided a few 's

~the newly-improved signatureless bridget

#19363 02/18/01 09:23 AM
J
jmh Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
J
Thanks for the suggestion, Bridget96. I've edited posts before and I think that they stay in the same place but I'm happy to give it a try.

PS You are not the only one to think I'm a "he". Tee hee

#19364 02/18/01 05:54 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
jmh writes:

PS You are not the only one to think I'm a "he". Tee hee

my apologies...ad infinitum. i am particularly ashamed by the oversight, since "jo" is my own middle name.

W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
the things (menu?) in the dark pink bar at the very top of the page apply to AWAD, not AWADtalk
===================================================
Ah HA! So that's why my searches are ineffective ... how DO you search for topics? Or have I missed something? (Drooling emoticon)
wow

J
jmh Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
J
>how DO you search for topics?

All you do is (i) Use the right search engine (tricky to have two, so close together), it's the one between "Main Index" and "Edit Profile", then when you are offered a choice, enter "all forums", "all dates". Sometimes it is best to search for a single word.

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Excellent work, Jo. It includes many things I'd forgotten, if indeed I ever knew them.

Bingley

Bingley
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,316
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 342 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,533
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith