About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 19 of 59 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 58 59
old hand
old hand
Here's what I found:

I know I am young, but I want to be the first female jockey to win at Del Mar. Meet me (giddy after my march to victory) at the rural cottage so we may celebrate with Louis and Robin.

Great job!!

addict
addict
Somebody owes us an onnicle, so here goes...

Onnicle: The chef assured the new waiter, “Sure, members may order anything on the menu à la mode.”

Clue: The actual name of a 1960 John Wayne movie, as well as what most folks think is the name of the movie.

"I don't know which is worse: ignorance or apathy. And, frankly, I don't care." - Anonymous
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted By: beck123
Onnicle: The chef assured the new waiter, “Sure, members may order anything on the menu à la mode.”

Clue: The actual name of a 1960 John Wayne movie, as well as what most folks think is the name of the movie.

As far as I know, the actual title does not include "Remember".

I promise I will post one today!

old hand
old hand
As promised:

*WARNING* This is very difficult! You will be able to quickly solve the first part, but the second and third parts are truly trivial, and I am prepared to have no one solve those.

Onnicle: Maybe not the entire board, but most may agree, not every name or title is suitable for onniclization. It takes a bit of wizard to create and offer a tricky one that will be lauded, and allows the author to bask in the glory of lexical praise. The best ones provide a bit of (hopefully temporary...) bamboozlement. Though perhaps not woe, these cagey, escapist conundrums do provide mental stimulation and enjoyment.

Onnicle: Book, movie and musical have many differences. Besides the title, hidden are two two-word phrases naming aspects of a major character in the movie and musical that are NOT in the book.

I'll add a hint now: all four words are simple, kindergarten vocabulary words. Good luck! :0)

addict
addict
Maybe not THE entire board, but most may aGREE, Not every name or title is suitable for onniclization. It takes a bit of WIZARD to create and offer a tricky one that will be lauded, and allows the author to baSK IN the glory OF lexical praise. The best ones provide a bit of (hopefully temporary...) bamboOZlement. Though perhaps noT WOe, these cagEY, EScapist conundrums do provide mental stimulation and enjoyment.

THE WIZARD OF OZ.

"green skin" and "two eyes," referring to the WWotW!

Good one! Now, an easy one...

Onnicle: I was lucky enough to win “Stone Pilots” tickets in a radio contest: front row seats for their concert in the park next Sunday! After church, I’ll ride over with Joe and Frankie to see the show.

Clue: With his luck, he and Frankie and Joe would probably be an unbeatable team on the new “Wii” game platform

"I don't know which is worse: ignorance or apathy. And, frankly, I don't care." - Anonymous
addict
addict
No takers for this one? It's pretty easy. Here's another Clue: the friends' names are actually Franklin and Joseph.

old hand
old hand
Winston Churchill! grin

I'll post one in a little bit.

old hand
old hand
I hope you find this one a challenge. Let me know if it was really easy. laugh

Onnicle: From sabres and kilts to assault rifles and flak jackets, military uniforms have transformed from highly colorful and distinctive to camouflage and practical.

French armies used the epaulette to denote rank among their soldiers, having borrowed the idea from early Roman garb. Most units, especially a post, legion or division of Europe, incorporate shoulder insignia into their full dress uniforms today; however, the Russians, Ukrainians and Tatars usually wear a uniform less ornamental.

Clue: Can you find both this person’s names plus citizenship?

addict
addict
Saul of Tarsus, St. Paul

Although a Turkish Jew by birth, he was a Roman citizen

Good one!

Onnicle: Salesgirl Sarah and her musician pal, Bertram, fell in love in Steinway’s piano showroom on West 57th Street in Manhattan many, many years ago.

Clue: Who knew such a thing could happen? Well, this gentleman from the academic world probably did, since he is credited with having known just about everything, and then some.

old hand
old hand
Yes, Saul of Tarsus and St Paul the Apostle. Did you find apostle?

Page 19 of 59 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 58 59

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 676 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith