Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#192741 08/21/10 04:38 PM
Faldage Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
A. A giant rabbit or hare found along the Botswana border in northern South Africa. From the Afrikaans Perp: LukeJavan8 --- Voted for by: jenny

B. A shelf-like outcropping of rock on the side of a cliff. A common nesting place for birds. Perp: olly --- Voted for by: Owlbow

C. In Dutch heraldry, the pattern of two parallel, horizontal bars across the field of a shield. Perp: Coffeebean

D. A right angle prong of the long hook that fits into the holes of the trammel bar, a component of a trammel hook, a device for raising and lowering a kettle in a fireplace. Perp: Owlbow --- Voted for by BranShea, olly

E. A fog; a chill easterly wind accompanied by light fog. Perp: Several dictionaries of note, found in Alexander McCall Smith's The World According to Bertie --- Voted for by Alex Williams

F. A dream guide of the Senoi tribe of the Malay Peninsula. Also known as "halaks" the haars gather each morning to integrate their nightly dreams into Senoi culture. The Senoi people have not had a violent crime in several hundred years. Perp: jenny --- Voted for by: Jackie

G. A Swedish wig Perp: Jackie --- Voted for by: beck123

H. A period of gigantism in animals on the Pacific island of Hoor'n, first discovered in human remains and later seen in all animals of the island. This period is referred to as the Haar Event. Perp: jenny

I. The first thin film of ice that forms on the canals of Holland in the early winter. Perp: wofahulicodoc

J. A dried rhizome and root of a medicinal herb, or a powder or extract of such, used by the ancient Greeks and Romans in treating mental and other disorders Perp: tsuwm --- Voted for by: jenny

K. A garland. From the Hindi. Perp: Avy --- Voted for by: Wofahulicodoc, Coffeebean, tsuwm

L. A type of herb seed added to enhance the flavor of harissa, a Tunisian mixed pepper paste Perp: BranShea

M. A male hair style of the 16th to 18th centuries that mimicked the style in which men's wigs were arranged. Perp: beck123 --- Voted for by: Avy

Alex Williams gets Right Guess Bragging Rights

Avy gets Fooled You Bragging Rights.

The subject line of my post, Haar she blows was a play on the stereotypical whaler cry upon spying a surfacing and exhaling whale, "Thar she blows!"

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Pffff...jemig, how did you ever find that word? It's in quite a lot of Onelook dictionaries. A fog! All the definitions seemed false including the real one. smile As good as they were though.
/* */ Dict. Thesaurus: Earth Sciences / Physical Geography) Eastern Brit a cold sea mist or fog off the North Sea
[related to Dutch dialect harig damp]( very unlikely )
Thanks Faldage, it's been a pleasure.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Yep, thanks, Faldage, for a real haard-to-guess one. And thanks, beck, for your vote. I am sorry: this word just made me grin every time I looked at it, so I submitted the first daffynition I could think of!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

Thanks for the contest, Faldage.

----please, draw me a sheep----
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

Thanks for your vote Jenny, if indeed there are two of you, which
ever one of you voted for my daffynition, the giant hare of
the Botswana border.

Avy Offline
old hand
old hand
Oh yay! I won one. Of course I fooled myself before fooling anyone else. I posted thinking that was the right answer, and bit ef saab's head off for tweaking my grammar. Thanks for a fun game.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I voted for B.

formerly known as etaoin...
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Yeh, me too; I voted for B

addict
addict
I voted wrong, too, but thanks to everyone for a good game!

"I don't know which is worse: ignorance or apathy. And, frankly, I don't care." - Anonymous
Avy Offline
old hand
old hand
[Making place]
There's place for two on the stand.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith