About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
RayButler #192649 08/17/10 08:00 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Worcestershire/ laugh Ha, I always wondered why they use all those letters just to say Wooster. They don't write rorcerstershire for rooster do they?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I always wondered why they use all those letters just to say Wooster.

That would be a better spelling than Worcester, but the English language has long been associated with a silly and stupid spelling "system".

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
BranShea #192661 08/18/10 01:39 AM
Avy Offline
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted By: BranShea
Worcestershire/ laugh Ha, I always wondered why they use all those letters just to say Wooster.
In one Bugs Bunny cartoon, he not only insisted on pronouncing the "ces" in worcestershire, but he used Tmesis and pronounced it "Worcestercestershire". I found that really funny.

addict
addict
Originally Posted By: zmjezhd
That [i.e., "Wooster"] would be a better spelling than Worcester, but the English language has long been associated with a silly and stupid spelling "system".

Agreed, but in this particular case, I think it's the formalization of lazy speech patterns that has produced the disconnect. It's the sound that's errant in this case, not the spelling.

Which makes me think, In a sober and intelligent spelling system, would the spelling of words change as the pronunciations shift? There's nothing more tedious than a Spanish spelling bee, since words are soberly and intelligently spelled the way they sound. So should "hola" now be spelled "ola," since the aitch has evolved to silence, or is it worthwhile to retain these oddities as indicators of the history of the language? I have no opinion, one way or the other, but I'm curious to hear what others think.

"I don't know which is worse: ignorance or apathy. And, frankly, I don't care." - Anonymous
RayButler #192671 08/18/10 10:20 AM
Avy Offline
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted By: RayButler
Celtic names.

I was once in love with a Celtic name. For a while, I thought it was the man. Then I realised of course it was the name!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
this particular case, I think it's the formalization of lazy speech patterns that has produced the disconnect.

Language changes over time: sounds, meanings, and grammar. Nothing you or I can do about it. My favorites are the c in perfect and the d in admiral. Both are pronounced today because people were confused by the etymological re-spellings of Middle English parfit and amiral. In the former case, the c is etymological sound, the Latin word being perfectus, but in the latter it is a false etymology, the Arabic word being a variant of emir.

Two pronunciations which annoy me, though realize I'm on the wrong side are the pronunciation of err as air and pronouncing the t in often: both of which are some kind of wrong-headed hyper-correction based on back-formation from the pronunciation of error and spelling pronunciation respectively.

In a sober and intelligent spelling system, would the spelling of words change as the pronunciations shift? There's nothing more tedious than a Spanish spelling bee, since words are soberly and intelligently spelled the way they sound. So should "hola" now be spelled "ola," since the aitch has evolved to silence, or is it worthwhile to retain these oddities as indicators of the history of the language?

Well, spelling bees only work for languages that have screwed up spelling systems. It's a way for folks to feel better about their hopeless situation. wink

Yes, there's no real reason to put in the h in Spanish ola or English humor.

Many languages change their spelling over the years to bring them into conformity with changes in the language. The real problem with many folks is what to do with regional accents. While it is important to distinguish between a phonetic and a phonemic spelling system. (Nobody who knows which end is up linguistically speaking advocates the former, but rather the latter.) I think, you just bite the bullet and choose a standard and base the orthography on that. (It will cause trouble with folks who merge sounds like in cot-caught or pen-pin, but it will still be less onerous than the status quo.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Avy #192674 08/18/10 01:00 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
he used Tmesis and pronounced it "Worcestercestershire". I found that really funny.

Really more of a reduplication, but, yes, it was funny. And was his Brooklynese rhotic or non-rhotic?

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
zmjezhd #192677 08/18/10 02:51 PM
Avy Offline
old hand
old hand
Non-rhotic (I think). He went "woocestercestershire". His implication was "I'll not only say 'ces', but I'll not stop saying it."
ETA: Doubt.

Last edited by Avy; 08/18/10 03:25 PM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: zmjezhd
Yes, there's no real reason to put in the h in Spanish ola or English humor.

British?

formerly known as etaoin...
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
British?

Nope, the h in humor is incorrect. The Latin word was umor, but the h got added sometime in the Middle Ages.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 674 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith