Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 17 of 59 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 58 59
addict
addict
ULYSSES S. GRANT!

That was a great one, CB!

Onnicle: The raja never glanced outside his carriage on his tour from the hills of Rochester to the reeds along the St. Johns River’s edge in Jacksonville. As for the newspapers, they reported gleefully on his progress, though they never actually spoke with him.

Clue: A fictional heroine, with four of her fellow characters embedded as clues

"I don't know which is worse: ignorance or apathy. And, frankly, I don't care." - Anonymous
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted By: beck123
Onnicle: The raja never glanced outside his carriage on his tour from the hills of Rochester to the reeds along the St. Johns River’s edge in Jacksonville. As for the newspapers, they reported gleefully on his progress, though they never actually spoke with him.

Clue: A fictional heroine, with four of her fellow characters embedded as clues

Whew! I'm not a JANE EYRE expert, by any means, but you've got my hometown in there! :0)

addict
addict
I craftily put my own town in there, as well!

Now you owe us one.

"I don't know which is worse: ignorance or apathy. And, frankly, I don't care." - Anonymous
old hand
old hand
Onnicle: I admit my taste runs to Fantasy, from the classics involving a centaur or a unicorn, maybe featuring the famous Bilbo, realistic though he may not be, to the gritty new science fiction on t.v., "Caprica" being the finest example.

Onniclue: Although as referenced they are septentrional, they have a counterpart, but perhaps not quite so lovely.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I admit my taste runs to Fantasy, from the classics involving a centaur or a unicorn, maybe featuring the famous Bilbo, realistic though he may not be, to the gritty new science fiction on t.v., "Caprica" being the finest example.

Aurora Borealis? Is that it? But if so, it would take me days to give a new one, twosleepy.

old hand
old hand
Good job!

Onnicle: How could a small band of right-wing extremists carry a crusade so far as to deprive an entire nation of their right to choose? More emphatic than charismatic, this movement’s outspoken leader was a smashing success, bar none.

Clue: The onnicle itself is straightforward and factual.

[I hope you all don't mind that I stepped in with a new one.]

addict
addict
CARRY[sic] NATION!

Onnicle: Just over here, near Sylvia’s Truckstop, everyone in Nashville began eating “Cumberland Knockwurst.” This homey eatery gave really amazing portions! Everyone seemed overly fed with Ricky at the helm.

Clue: Initially, this man's writing was not well received. He later produced some very highly-regarded literature, and the title of his masterpiece is also in the onnicle.

addict
addict
(That was "sic," not "hic")

old hand
old hand
I'll drink to that!

Yes, actually it was "Carry A. Nation". Both Carrie and Carry are accepted spellings, according to Wikipedia.

It was probably very easy to solve, but I had fun putting it together!

old hand
old hand
JOHN STEINBECK!

Page 17 of 59 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 58 59

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith