About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 13 of 59 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 58 59
T
T
Originally Posted By: beck123
Barnicle: The old man had us preparing the ship from stern to jib: a hand could not be seen at rest. He set the older sea-rats at hauling lines in; I at packing the hold with gear.

Barniclue: This skipper’s backward view of vengeance brought the trip to ill. Young as I was, I wish Ma elected a different ship for my first sea voyage

R we playing homophones here Beck?

W.H.G King(ston)stern - My First Voyage To Southern Seas?

Clueless on Barnicle/Barniclue though!

addict
addict
Not it! The "Barnicle" thing reflects the nautical theme of the riddle (and its answer.) It sounds nautical, at least - I spelled it to match the silly "onnicle" thing.

I tried to imitate the writing of the day in my riddle, and there are several clues in the clue - a few overt, one sneakily hidden.

"I don't know which is worse: ignorance or apathy. And, frankly, I don't care." - Anonymous
T
T
Barnicle: The old man had us preparing the ship from stern to jib: a hand could not be seen at rest. He set the older sea-rats at hauling lines in; I at packing the hold with gear.

Barniclue: This skipper’s backward view of vengeance brought the trip to ill. Young as I was, I wish Ma elected a different ship for my first sea voyage

OK..yet another try!

.raeg htiw dloh eht gnikcap ta I ;ni senil gniluah ta star-aes redlo eht tes eH .tser ta nees eb ton dluoc dnah a :bij ot nrets morf pihs eht gniraperp su dah nam dlo ehT

Is it Captain Neil of "Windjammer Adventures Cruises"?

O
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
O

Captain Ahab from Moby-Dick. There's Ishmael as well.

Brilliant work, Beck. But too damn difficult.

Moving into the realm of Steganography (my newly discovered word).

Last edited by Onamography; 04/19/10 09:38 AM.

www.onamography.com

Support us here --> Facebook
addict
addict
OK, here's an easy one:

Onnicle: In the society of minor criminals there is now much ado, because by using new security photograph technology, shoplifters and pickpockets can be identified very easily.

Clue: Not a person, but a thing you might find on a computer. Tricky, since a word is split (though it is often split – in a way - in the actual name of the thing.)

"I don't know which is worse: ignorance or apathy. And, frankly, I don't care." - Anonymous
old hand
old hand
adobe photo shop

Onnicle: Having forgotten to set the brake, Lyle wistfully watched his car roll down the hill to crumple against an oak tree.

Onniclue: Off with her head!

addict
addict
Chuckie Dodgson! ...er, LEWIS CARROLL!

Onnicle: The inquisitors were careful to warn erotic artists in eastern Spain that their work was forbidden. The artists ignored the threat, and the River Ebro soon echoed their pitiful screams.

Clue: A well-known company name, partly abbreviated (as one often sees it.)

Last edited by beck123; 04/19/10 09:59 PM.

old hand
old hand
Warner Bros

Onnicle: Brad was proud to land the role of angel in a Christmas pageant; there wasn’t much else for excitement in Joliet.

Do you need a clue for this one???

M
M
Angelina Jolie

Onnicle: Mary Jo enjoyed Rene Daumal's "Mont Analogue" more than "A Night of Serious Drinking."

Onniclue: A former SUPER guy.

addict
addict
JOE MONTANA!

Here's a toughie (I think.)

Onnicle: Generally, river environments boast live egrets. Informed people should never, ever victimize egrets, they say.

Clue(s): Despite support from Hollywood big-wigs, backward people often have trouble with this idea, initially. They don’t feel that somebody else’s environmental dream works in their part of the world.

Page 13 of 59 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 58 59

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith