Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 59 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 58 59
addict
addict
Has anyone figured out 2sleepy's riddle, yet? I've Harry-Pottered myself blue in the face, and it still has me stumped.

Yo, 2. Maybe another clue should be forthcoming.

(Oops. Not necessary - see my next.)

Last edited by beck123; 04/17/10 12:35 PM.

"I don't know which is worse: ignorance or apathy. And, frankly, I don't care." - Anonymous
addict
addict
Aha! Now that I've awakened fully, please belay my last, twosleepy:

ALAN RICKMAN - Good one!

Onnicle: Sam almost made my young daughter a virtual instigator. “Sam’s just unfettering Nicole,” I often rationalized.

Clue: Initially, this entertainer may have been one I'd befriend, but in fact he was a rat from way back.

Last edited by beck123; 04/17/10 12:37 PM.

"I don't know which is worse: ignorance or apathy. And, frankly, I don't care." - Anonymous
T
T
Originally Posted By: twosleepy
Originally Posted By: ToughGirlsRule
Onnicle: Mumtaz Mahal's ghost eventually said it's good bye to a griefstricken Shah Jahan, the Mughal emperor. The Taj observatory beautifully illustrates their love story.

Onniclue: Pple at Super.com

I'm not familiar with Super.com, but I think that's correct!

I'm also not a "him"... :0D

Onnicle: Although a landscaper many worry about planting roses that can prick, many gardeners feel a garden isn't legitimate without at least one or two bushes.

Onniclue: Frank Bryce

Pple at Super.com

Think Anagrams! Apple Computers smile

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted By: beck123

Onnicle: Sam almost made my young daughter a virtual instigator. “Sam’s just unfettering Nicole,” I often rationalized.

Clue: Initially, this entertainer may have been one I'd befriend, but in fact he was a rat from way back.

Well, I don't know if that's what you intended, but I didn't think we were *allowed* to separate each name from its components. I've been keeping each name together, which is more difficult to create. You could pick out nearly any name with separated letters in a long enough sentence! Onamagraphy? What say you?

addict
addict
You're on the right track, twosleepy, but you're making it too complicated.

Last edited by beck123; 04/17/10 02:29 PM.

old hand
old hand

Okay, so it's an Anacronnomicle! Hah! You did it, I named it... :0)

O
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
O
Sometimes I feel as though we are being used as free beta testers for a (ahem) profit-making enterprise. Not that the game itself isn't fun! I've been doing this kind of puzzle since my childhood, many months ago. Nevertheless, the onniclization of the game reminds me of the folks who took the childrens' card game "crazy eights" and made a bundle marketing it as "Uno."

Valid concern, Beck. Let me address that. (Warning: Relatively long post)

Technically, I'd guess beta testing for a product happens before being launched, not after. Onamography has already gone through the beta testing phase and saw the light of day only after a painfully long (very long) gestation period.

It's already got an estimated 30 million views in the print version of a mainstream newspaper. So it's a little late for beta testing.

As far as profit making is concerned, that isn't the primary motive. Of course, if someone hands over a million bucks for it, I'm not sure how many would turn it down. That's a highly unlikely situation though. Most puzzle designers struggle to get any returns for their efforts. Success stories (like Uno) are extremely rare in the game/puzzle world. For an overwhelming majority, puzzle-making ends up being a passion they pursue while holding on to their day jobs.

So what's the motivation here? For one, trying to push an unconventional concept is far more difficult than it might seem. Most commercial publishers are reluctant to experiment with anything that's not already been established (crosswords, sudoku et al). So this is an experiment (so if you insist on an analogy, we are all guinea pigs more than beta testers) to see how people on the other side of the table perceive and react to a concept such as this.

Coming to the "profit-making enterprise" part, there's no corporate body with devious intentions pushing this. Just the inventor and a bunch of volunteers who believe in the game. A small team that wants to see the idea being embraced by many more.

Your comment ('Not that the game itself isn't fun!') is one of the numerous testimonials that go to show that the concept has potential. There were no false promises or incentives in the first post. And yet this thread has already got over a 100 posts and 2700 views in under 10 days. I find that very encouraging.

Thanks to all you folks who've been having a blast with this concept. I hope the party continues.

www.onamography.com

Support us here --> Facebook
O
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
O
[quote=beck123]
...but I didn't think we were *allowed* to separate each name from its components. I've been keeping each name together, which is more difficult to create. You could pick out nearly any name with separated letters in a long enough sentence! Onamagraphy? What say you?

This (along with Beck's 'Anacronnomicle' as you've christened it) is a valid variation. Tricky vs Simple.

But you are right, depending on how it's been constructed, the level of difficulty could change dramatically. On this thread, so far we've been sticking to the Simple ones. PurpleHaze gave us a Tricky onnicle earlier (#190440) and I had requested her to stay with Simple onnicles (as no one had solved it for a whole day). She never came back.

But if people are willing to move to the next level, so be it.

This was a much easier query to answer than the previous one ;-)

www.onamography.com

Support us here --> Facebook
addict
addict
Okay, so it's an Anacronnomicle! Hah! You did it, I named it... :0)

And you got it, 2zzz, so you owe us one. (I hope you caught this hint in the clue: "...one I'd..." It's the only thing I've written here so far that made me giggle out loud like an idiot in front of my computer.)

Shout out to Onamo: Making a profit is not a nefarious motive - in fact, good luck! I was just thinking out loud.

Last edited by beck123; 04/17/10 09:13 PM.

addict
addict
For a forum like this, having daily input, I think we need to point out in the clue if the search needs to be other than the simple kind.

A puzzle in the newspaper can be noodled over for days or weeks (or years, as I do with crosswords), but that doesn't work in this kind of venue.

Page 11 of 59 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 58 59

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith