Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
ZM In morphology, periphrasis is when you use a phrase rather than a single verb form. for example, in Latin the present indicative active and passive forms of a verb are a single verb form:
Quote:
amo 'I love' and amor 'I am loved'. In the English glosses to those two forms, the second one, the passive, is a periphrastic construction.

Yes, I understood right away that here periphrastic is used for a grammatical construction. You cannot get behind this when you look it up as an independant word in a dictionary.
FALD.
Quote:
This is all in aid of my internal rantings against the Huddleston/Pullum categorization of bush as a preposition in the sentence 'On hatching, the chicks scramble to the surface and head bush on their own.'
People like to make these constructions, whatever you call it grammatically, as a way of being creative with language. (often in advertizing) It can be irritating when those things become too fashionable.
I hope the chicks made it safely to the bush though God knows which chick devouring creatures were lurking there.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: zmjezhd

Yeah but, you cannot replace it with another noun AFAIK. You can replace it with an adverb or a preposition or two.

Umm. Lessee. 'On hatching, the chicks scramble to the surface and head bush (north/east/south/west/home) on their own.'

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
(north/east/south/west/home)

All adverbs for me. It's pretty uncontroversial categorization, (see, for instance, A-H link). YMMV. I should also say, bush is not an adverb for me, but I see how Pullum could analyze it that way for the Australians who made the utterance..

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
What about a gerund like "hunting?"

I suppose if the -ing form was used as a noun, it'd be OK., But remember those forms are sometimes adjectives. Cf. His hunting days are over with Hunting gave him great joy.

1. On hatching, the chicks scramble to the surface and head bush on their own.

2. On hatching, the chicks scramble to the surface and head hunting on their own.

For me both sentences are weird, but then I don't savvy Strine.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Thanks, too, as this is all new to me.

You're welcome.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: zmjezhd
What about a gerund like "hunting?"

1. On hatching, the chicks scramble to the surface and head bush on their own.
'
Still with number 1. Does it look strange because when heading means moving somewhere, it is usually followed by 'for'?

VERB:
intr.
To proceed or go in a certain direction: head for town.
To form a head, as lettuce or cabbage.
To originate, as a stream or river; rise.

I mean, this looks quite kosher, I think.

On hatching, the chicks scramble to the surface and head for bush on their own.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
On hatching, the chicks scramble to the surface and head for bush on their own.

I would write: On hatching, the chicks scramble to the surface and head for the bush on their own. The prepositional phrase for the bush fills the adverbial adjunct slot in this sentence for me. Pullum is not saying that bush has become preposition in standard English, he was just enthusing over a preposition in the birthing process. For those who like their grammar and language fixed, like a butterfly pinned to a placard, this can be annoying.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Yes, the the sounds even betterder. But head bush is fine with me. I think I'll head book for the rest of the day. grin

addict
addict
I think it can be correct without the article, but it definitely needs the preposition in the northern hemisphere.

On hatching, the chicks scramble to the surface and head for (shelter, town, Mom, high ground, etc., none of which requires an article) on their own

"I don't know which is worse: ignorance or apathy. And, frankly, I don't care." - Anonymous
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I should have written:(within this context) I'll head book and read for the rest of the day.
It can become really ugly when like me people take it one step further by messing it up. Since the seventees we are left with results from people making creative derivations from bibliotheek=library. People thought it cute to combine all sorts of words with the ending: "theek" .
From art-o-theek , which was still an artworks lending service to
Snack-o-Theek, the old fashioned cafetaria or "frietkot".
(fiets/Bike-o-Theek, speel/Play-o-theek, kook/Cook-o-theek) Things that no longer have to do with preservation or lending at all.

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,322
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 412 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,535
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith