Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
M
M
If she only had one visible eye from her witch-beginning (parthenogenetic or otherwise), could what would normally (to some) be the third eye have served as her second eye?

If she had one visible seeing eye and one visible apparently-blind eye, perhaps the latter was used for her dark arts.

Last edited by morphememedley; 05/26/08 05:11 AM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Oh, well, just have a good Memorial Day. Meaning All of You!

Last edited by BranShea; 05/26/08 04:40 PM.
old hand
old hand
In the book, not the movie, she did not have green skin, and she had only one eye, not two or more with any non-functional. The one eye was, indeed, telescopic in nature, so she could see all of her realm in the West. When Dorothy and her friends set off to destroy her, she saw them coming from a long way off. There was no sneaking into the castle at all. She had a reputation for making slaves of those she captured. She had no idea who Dorothy was, but sent four waves of minions to dispatch them all, except for the Lion, as she thought it would be amusing to hitch him up to a cart. Dorothy escaped murder by the apparently visible mark of the Good Witch of the North's kiss on her forehead. By the way, the witch of the North remained nameless, the Good Witch of the South was named Glinda, and she did not appear until the end of the story, when Dorothy sought her out to go home.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
why do I get the strong feeling that you've read more than just The Wonderful Wizard?

-joe (Tik-Tok) friday

old hand
old hand
Your feeling is accurate; however, all that I recounted above is from the first book, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz. I have a very old copy, plus a copy of Ozma of Oz that were part of my family's books. There were tons written, and I have certainly not read them all. They get way off into unfamiliar territory real quick...

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
thanks for the clarification, sleeps. I have read a couple of the Oz stories, but didn't remember the details.

formerly known as etaoin...
H
stranger
stranger
H
most mythology seems to have emerged fron reflection on the sun moon and stars.in indigenous australia often ancestors are seen as living in the stars very reminiscent of the myths in star wars etc.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Welcome, smile you've returned to cyclops and mythology exactly 3 days and five years after this thread was started.
Sun and moon must have given great reason to wonder and worship in the very old days and even though we know more about it now we still do not know the wherefrom-whereto.

I can imagine our ancestors living in the stars as there must be at least enough stars in the sky to account for every soul that ever lived.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
The current movie "Australia", now out on DVD, shows
brilliantly the stars and the ancestors concept.

----please, draw me a sheep----
D
addict
addict
D
Originally Posted By: LukeJavan8
The current movie "Australia", now out on DVD, shows brilliantly the stars and the ancestors concept.

It is, however, the second worst movie in the history of the world.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith