Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
J
Lordy, Old Music still makes the World go Round at an Even Keel!!! Thank God for an audience still awake with its Eyes closed!!!

Joanie666
I have uploaded
My Avatar
Jackie #192059 07/25/10 02:13 AM
Jackie Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Just thought I'd let you all know that I finally got* Mozart's Requiem yesterday. I got the recording by the Wiener Philharmoniker (Germany). I can't tell, but would guess, that the soloists are German. In some places, singing Latin, they actually rrrroll their r's. Is that correct?

*I could have gotten it for about $10 including shipping from Amazon, and it was $15 at the record shop. But not only is the record shop locally owned and been in business for a long time, it is known for having a vast variety including recordings by local artists--several local bands have gotten publicity by playing live IN this shop--but it is in danger of having to close due to so many people just downloading music now. I strongly believe in supporting local businesses when I can.

Jackie #192063 07/25/10 11:29 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
[quote=Jackie I can't tell, but would guess, that the soloists are German. In some places, singing Latin, they actually rrrroll their r's. Is that correct?
[/quote]

Yes, indeed. Should be done in any variety of choral Church Latin. Some differences you will see in German Church Latin from the more often heard Italianate are "ts" for C before E, I, and Y, rather than the Italianate "ch", the pronunciation of GN as in "doG Nose" rather than the Italianate "ny" as in "caN You", and pronouncing initial S followed by a vowel as "z".

Faldage #192064 07/25/10 12:46 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: Faldage
Originally Posted By: Jackie
I can't tell, but would guess, that the soloists are German. In some places, singing Latin, they actually rrrroll their r's. Is that correct?

Yes, indeed. Should be done in any variety of choral Church Latin. Some differences you will see in German Church Latin from the more often heard Italianate are "ts" for C before E, I, and Y, rather than the Italianate "ch", the pronunciation of GN as in "doG Nose" rather than the Italianate "ny" as in "caN You", and pronouncing initial S followed by a vowel as "z".

which can be a right pain when you sing the same work with different conductors...

Last edited by Buffalo Shrdlu; 07/25/10 12:47 PM.

formerly known as etaoin...
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Our director has been giving us even more specific pronunciation rules. We did the Mozart C Minor Mass with pronunciation that would have been used in that part of Germany at Mozart's time. When we did Orff's Carmina Burana recently we did it with 13th century Bavarian German Latin pronunciation.

Faldage #192070 07/26/10 02:33 AM
Jackie Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
the pronunciation of GN as in "doG Nose" Well--I did not know to listen for this specifically, but I'm sure they sing og-noose Dei: I'd have noticed if they sang on-yoose. Thanks for the info.

with pronunciation that would have been used in that part of Germany at Mozart's time. When we did Orff's Carmina Burana recently we did it with 13th century Bavarian German Latin pronunciation. !!!

(Just checked--yep, og-noose.)

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
but I'm sure they sing og-noose Dei: I'd have noticed if they sang on-yoose.

Ognus Dei? Egg news day? Agnes and Doris Day?

we did it with 13th century Bavarian German Latin pronunciation.

I'd love to read the monograph that established the 13th century Bavarian German Latin pronunciation. Quod would facere my diem.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
After a few Bavarian German eggnogs we all will speak it fluently.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: zmjezhd

I'd love to read the monograph that established the 13th century Bavarian German Latin pronunciation. Quod would facere my diem.

He's got a book. I've got the title and author somewhere. I don't know if they have anything more than just a this-is-how-it-is, but it might be worth a check. I'll see if I can dig it up for you.

Jackie Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Ognus Dei? It's spelled Agnus Dei; I was attempting to put the pronunciation. 'Spose I could've put ahg.

Quod would facere my diem. That would make my day?

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith