About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
My youngest daughter, in 10th grade, complained about a bizarre technique her teacher is using. Every 10th grader in the school takes HUM (for humanities), a combined English/History course. The history teacher gives her a vocab quiz before starting the section in earnest. "It's not fair we have to know what these words mean before we even read the chapter!" They're studying classical China and India right now, so the morning before they started the section, they were quizzed over a list of terms including, among others, "Qin Dynasty", "Silk Road", "Daoism."

Was hard not to chuckle at that - I might have made the same complaint at that age, had our teacher used a similar pedagogical approach. "Maybe she wants to make sure you understand what she's saying in class, and what you're about to read in the book. It could save you time in the long wrong." (Scowl mixed with "you have *GOT* to be kidding me" look.)

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I would say that if it's to guide the teacher in what must be taught and what is already known it shouldn't be a problem as long as it doesn't count towards the final grade. Of course, the teacher should make all this clear to the students.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I don't know, if every teacher used that method, kids might start to realize that not everything they need to learn is found in school. they might start reading newspapers and encyclopedias and other things just to be smart.

formerly known as etaoin...
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I think the idea is that the teacher want to make sure that the students understand the lectures she's about to impart and that they understand the chapter they're about to read.

I recall my first day ever teaching at college. I was terrified, but had muddled my way through it. I was explaining then for about 20 minutes or so how to go about conducting their first lab. I said, "When the cursor is here, you do this. When the cursor is there you do that." After 20 minutes, somebody timidly raises his hand and asks, "What's a cursor?" It had never occurred to me that someone would not know what one was.

And it's not like the definitions are fixed in one's mind. Most definitions in a history class are going to be necessarily vague. Over the course of the studies, what the terms actually mean become solidified in the students' minds.

Many teachers in this school are very big on giving outside reading. In AP Bio, for example, the teacher has already given a number of articles on protein-folding, etc., to the students - material which they are quizzed over in the following class (before discussing). They have two quizzes a day, almost every day in that class. Five simple questions at the start and end of every class (no idea when the woman finds time to grade this stuff).

At first she (my brat) complained that the articles didn't have anything to do with the sections they were working on, but then later, she it really was, but it wasn't obvious at first.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
agreed. I was commenting more on Faldage's idea that they not be graded.

formerly known as etaoin...
old hand
old hand
 Originally Posted By: etaoin
I don't know, if every teacher used that method, kids might start to realize that not everything they need to learn is found in school. they might start reading newspapers and encyclopedias and other things just to be smart.

...and there might be world peace, and politicians might say what they really mean and mean what they really say, and we might win the war on terror, and ...yes Virginia there is a Santa Claus! \:D

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
 Originally Posted By: Faldage
I would say that if it's to guide the teacher in what must be taught and what is already known it shouldn't be a problem as long as it doesn't count towards the final grade. Of course, the teacher should make all this clear to the students.

or, it could be treated like 'extra credit', one.

D
stranger
stranger
D
I have studied many languages over my 60 + years on earth.

I have been fluent in a few that I have not used for 3 or 4 decades.

But I speak/read/write in Spanish and some Farsi. WHAT IS INTERESTING is that for Farsi I learned vocabulary by association with the object. I have studied about 65,000 words in Spanish according to my data base I built. Much less for Farsi (Persian, Iranian Language). It is easier to remember Farsi words than Spanish even though I live in a Spanish speaking country.

I read a lot of Spanish literature. I learned to write poetry in Spanish (and English). From the literature I build the Spanish-English dictionary (both ways) using Filemaker Pro (runs on Mac and PC). When I did not know a word, I would look it up in a large Spanish dictionary and enter it into the computer. If it is country dependent I put an abbreviation of the country in the data base.

I have found a lot of similarities int Spanish and Farsi.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
DrDon,

All things being equal, people will learn things better when they are interested in them. What we get out of education is related to what we put into it. We should pursue what we will be passionate about. Making a database of unfamiliar words is a worthwhile habit, perhaps taking the place of just writing out a definition and using it in a sentence, or making a flash card. 65,000 seems quite an extensive vocabulary in any language. With about how many of them do you suppose you have functional command?

G
G
Originally Posted By: DrDon
I have found a lot of similarities int Spanish and Farsi.

Well, they are distantly related.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,316
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 428 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,533
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith