Print Thread
A
Aalok Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
A
Hi all
I am Aalok and I really needed some help. The word "condescend" has been posing great problems as its meanings vary and I really am unable to have a visceral sense of the meaning of the word. I am writing to you to ask you to include condescend in one of your AWAD issues or send me a personal message explaining its meaning. I would also appreciate it if you could explain its meaning in the following extract. This piece has been taken from the Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas and I wish to know its meaning.

"What avails retrospection and recrimination touching circumstances wholly past recall? for my own part, I have laid aside even the name of my father, and altogether disown his political principles. He was - nay, may still be - a Bonapartist, and is called Noirtier; I, on the contrary, am a staunch royalist, and style myself de Villefort. Let what may remain of revolutionary sap exhaust itself and die away with the old trunk, and condescend only to regard the young shoot which has started up at a distance from the parent tree, without having the power, any more than the wish, to separate entirely from the stock from which it sprang."

The word doesn't make sense enough to me. I was told that it means to "stoop" in this context, but I would like an explanation from your side. I would also appreciate it if you gave me words that were synonymous to "condescend" with respect to this context.

Thanking you

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
yes, stoop or humble oneself (literally, to descend with)

Synonyms:
accommodate, accord, acquiesce, agree, be courteous, bend, come down off high horse, comply, concede, degrade oneself, deign, demean oneself, descend, favor, grant, lower oneself, oblige, see fit, submit, talk down to, toss a few crumbs, unbend, vouchsafe, yield [some of these are much more negative in feeling than others]

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Welcome, Aalok. ...condescend only to regard the young shoot which has started up at a distance from the parent tree... Deign, in tsuwm's list, is perfect here in place of condescend. It means 'you really couldn't be expected to do this, but it would be a great favor if you would do it anyway.'

I'm guessing that English is not your first language.

J
J
I feel your pain.

Joanie666
I have uploaded
My Avatar

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 442 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith