About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Now, whom might that be[?]

I had R H Fiske, the cranky grammatohooligan or his ilk, in mind when I posted.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
good lord, we've created a [sc. yet another] "monster"!

tsuwm #188502 12/27/09 07:12 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
"monster"!

The speed up with which in full dahil came, would lead one more cynical than I to opine that he never had a problem with links (sorry, branshea!) or URLs or any of the other things with which he professed difficulties. Either that or he had his dahilbot algorithms upgraded by MacBill for Xmas. Of course it could be that he just wandered out into the snow to lie down, and a homeless mortgage broker sneaked into his condo and fell asleep on the keyboard which then randomly typed out his massive missive in between acts from Hamlet. But, I digress.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
zmjezhd, quit monkeying around!

Jackie #188506 12/28/09 02:23 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Thanks zmjezhd for these refreshing seven monkey lines after pages and pages of Dalepics. Everybody who needs help can ask for it by PM and everyone can practise links by using the Previeuw Post facility.
If it looks wrong, don't submit it. If you can't distinguish right from wrong don't link/Url at all.

zmjezhd #188518 12/29/09 07:10 AM
Z
Zed Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Z
Originally Posted By: zmjezhd
Perhaps there is a misunderstanding of some sort, where you and I, through no fault of your own, don't mean exactly the same things by "url" and "link"

You really shouldn't try to use the InterWeb, dahil. It's arcane protocols and quotidian mungings are beyond your ken.

[ url= link ] title [ /url ]

The text in red are keywords and stay as they are written. The text in Green get replaced by the URL, link, or resource locator. The text in blue is the text of the hyperlink itself. For example:

[ url= http://www.example.com/rtfm.html ] Something short and pithy. [ /url ]

With all the spaces removed between square brackets and keywords, etc.

Something short and pithy.

Not that this will help ...

Thank you zmjezhd.
This is the best short simple explanation I have seen and I have it tucked away for the next time I do this. I have often told my students that any instructions they put up for other professions on positioning patients etc should be just detailed enough to insult their intelligence. That way you don't leave out any steps that are automatic to you and not to others.
I am not unintelligent but I don't think like computers or computer programmers so things that others find simple on computers I often find very difficult. Crafts such as stained glass or beadwork I catch onto very quickly; the process sometimes seems so obvious that I wonder why others would need to ask questions. On the other hand I have learned not to ask questions about "simple" computer tasks because I can seldom understand the answers.
E.g. on another board I spent days - well evenings trying to change my avatar. Several people told me how easy it was and gave me careful step by step instructions that didn't work. Eventually one very nice person figured out that (so ridiculously obvious to everyone else that they never thought to say it) I needed to make the picture into a thumbnail (very small picture) first and did so and posted it for me. It will need to be my avatar forever because I have no idea how to make a picture into a thumbnail.
If anyone insists on explaining this presumably incredibly simple process to me PLEASE do so by PM so that a) others are not subjected to a conversation like the above and b) when it doesn't work I don't look quite so foolish in public.

edited to add this

ta dah!

Last edited by Zed; 12/29/09 07:55 AM.
Zed #188520 12/29/09 11:22 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: Zed

edited to add this

I love that xkcd. Probably the most succinct punchline in the history of on-line comics.

Zed #188521 12/29/09 02:18 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Thank you

You're welcome, Zed. I am currently editing (and writing) internal documentation for our programmers. They are generating (a better word than writing) the content, and I go through testing it and correcting and adding all bits they left out. As you say, because it is so familiar to them, they leave out a lot.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
zmjezhd #188522 12/29/09 06:24 PM
D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D
"Thank you zmjezhd.
This is the best short simple explanation I have seen and I have it tucked away ...."

I totally agree with Zed that zm's instruction was one of the simplest and most straightforward instructions and as an utter tyro I also have duly tucked it away for handy access

" I am not unintelligent but I don't think like computers or computer programmers so things that others find simple on computers I often find very difficult. Crafts such as stained glass or beadwork I catch onto very quickly...."

I'm an inventor and (at least used to consider myself) a writer, crack shot with .22 revolver, and passable critic of hundreds of imported and domestic brews, but when it comes to distinguishing a hot crawling url hyperlink from a cold source target anchor, I am at a total loss

Yet from time to time after posting what I consider the most innocent response I am mercilessly attacked from all quarters, eventually becoming a sort of pariah among the notables

I have to admit however that my feeble attempts at humor are often in many quarters interpreted as facetious and so I appeal to all for forgiveness and once again resolve at the advent of the NY to mend my ways

Incidentally on the positive side since I am so often blessed with afterthoughts , my sincere gratitude for the AWAD facility to forgo the "Mark as edited"

Thank you for AWAD

Yet where is everyone else, and why

dalehileman
Zed #188524 12/29/09 11:15 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Your this is such a funny one. very good.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 435 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith