Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
M
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
I hope that someone out there may be able to help me.
Is there a word that describes a group of collective nouns or, in other words, is there a collective noun for collective nouns?

Meryl

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
If you're thinking about things like "a skein of geese," "a pride of lions,"an exultation of larks," etc, they're called 'terms of venery.' The sport originated with a bunch of old brandy-drinking, cigar-smoking gents sitting around in their little gentlemen's clubs reminiscing about the old days when they didn't break their horses backs while out chasing down the wily fox.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
they're called 'terms of venery.'

Terms of venery are a subset of collective nouns restricted to describing groups of animals. The asked for meta-collective noun probably doesn't fall into that category. FWIW, the TsC (tsuwm's count) for collective noun is 13 (general), 15 (special), link, and for terms of venery it's 1 (general), 2 (special), link. The first number is the number of Outlook results in the general category, and the second number includes specialty dictionaries, e.g., medicine, art. (Anyway, I added that to the mix, because Occam's razor be damned.) I suppose in these days of Inter-Web variability one should also add an access date, such as referenced in Wikipedia. For the record, the Dahilian semantico-typo-lexical constants for type-1 word, type-2 word, type-3 word are all 0 (zero). (Personally, I don't think tsuwm's method is complicated enough. The number of angels who can dance on the head of a pin ought to be taken into account as some sort of leavening number.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
> Dahilian

very good.

> The number of angels who can dance on the head of a pin ought to be taken into account as some sort of leavening number.

at the very yeast!

formerly known as etaoin...
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
jheem, I've been using the OL total, which is given in bold at the very top of the entry. link unfortunately, the eye is drawn to the General total, which is bolded and underlined.

I'm afraid it's an inherent flaw in the system. cry

>For the record, the Dahilian semantico-typo-lexical constants for type-1 word, type-2 word, type-3 word are all 0 (zero).

this is a shame; dal should begin impetrating various on-line lexicographers to get his terms included.
[drat, 'striket^hrough some text' no longer seems to work.]

Last edited by tsuwm; 12/09/09 01:40 PM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I've been using the O[ver]L[ook] total, which is given in bold at the very top of the entry. unfortunately, the eye is drawn to the General total, which is bolded and underlined.

I guess, at the very least, we shall have to agree (gentlemanly) to disagree (academically). I propose that my modification to tsuwm's system be called JhIc (pronounced jynx) for Jheem's Inconstant ...

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
at the very yeast!

Trub, at the very lees.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
but we digress..
-ron o.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted By: zmjezhd
I guess, at the very least, we shall have to agree (gentlemanly) to disagree (academically).

My ear wants to hear something different. Is gentlemanlyly a word? If not, what is the proper word? You are saying that you have to agree in a "gentlemanly" way, not a "gentleman" way. What is wrong with my thinking? I'm confusing myself! crazy

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
that's 'cuz gentlemanly can be either adjective or adverb, depending..

adv : in the manner of a gentleman he was sitting gentlemanly up in the ... taxi -- Saul Bellow

adj : having the character of or characteristic of a gentleman in nature, behavior, or appearance gentlemanly instincts
[W3]

more to the point, -ly can be either adj or adv suffix.

Last edited by tsuwm; 12/09/09 04:09 PM.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith