Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#188020 11/29/09 03:22 AM
tsuwm Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
I haven't proffered one of these for a while..

flabuginous: something which is deceptive or fraudulent

from Bird's Grandiloquent Dictionary.
I can find it nowhere else, and the def'n is suspect, presented as a thing, since the form is obviously adjectival. (you'd expect it to be "relating to deception or fraud", or the like.)

-joe (I carry no badge) friday

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Is this Grandiloquent Dictionary noted for such miscasting of words or otherwise generally suspect?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Who would trust a dictionary that puts Grandiloquent up front of itself? Looks like the perfect dictionary for the otherwise entertaining word-pedant Tom Coryate, who brought in the word 'umbrella', but also tried words like : antipriscianisticall.
Early 17th century.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
flabuginous: something which is deceptive or fraudulent

The inkhorn terms can be fun sometimes. First off, maybe who wrote the definition replaced of things with something. It doesn't look like any Latin-derived word. flabellum is a 'small fan', flabello 'to fan'. The Greeks borrowed flabellum from the Romans and Hellenized it to φλαβίλλιον (phlabillion).

This is the problem with most of these rare words lists, they give no examples and merely copy from some previous, uncigted competitor. The word only shows up in Google for websites and in no books.

Good luck in your search.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
antipriscianisticall

Not bothering to check my copy of Grandiose Flatigenous Wordhoard, two can play that game, I have to say I like antipriscianistical, but can only guess at its meaning. Perhaps, a 17th century synonym for descriptivist. From Priscian, a Roman grammarian.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
That surely will be it. He was fond of inventing new words, so he may often have had confrontations with prescriptivists.
I wouldn't be surprised if he was responsable for flabuginous as well. He was a rather fanatic Reformed moralist as well, quite obsessed with gallows, which he loved to describe to the tiniest detail as well as pillars and fertile landscapes. A very eccentric character but a good observer.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Quote:
I departed from Oppenheim the twelfth day of September being munday about sixe of the clocke in the morning, and came to the city of Mentz about tenne of the clocke in the morning, which was tenne miles beyond it. It was my hap in this journey betwixt Oppenheim and Mentz to have such a notable companion as I never had before in all my life. For he was both learned and unlearned. Learned because being but a wood-cleaver (for he told me that he was the Jesuits wood-cleaver of Mentz) he was able to speake Latine. A matter as rare in one of that sordid facultie as to see a white Crowe or a blacke Swanne. Againe he was unlearned, because the Latin which he did speake was such incongruall and disjoynted stuffe, such antipriscianisticall eloquence, that I thinke were grave Cato alive (who for his constant severity was called αγελαστος [agelastos], because he never or very seldome laughed) he should have more cause to laugh if he should heare this fellow deliver his minde in Latin, then when he saw an Asse eate thistles. (link)

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
tsuwm Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: Faldage
Is this Grandiloquent Dictionary noted for such miscasting of words or otherwise generally suspect?

I'd have to say an emphatic "yes!" to that. someone did a study of the GD: "946 of these 2700 words do not yield any results in six different dictionaries, hence many of them might be misspellings". and goes on to list some of the misspellings: abcedarian, anaxiphillia, anklyosis, antedeluvian, anthrophobia, arachibutyrophillia, autovoxiphillia, chilihedron, dendrophillia, divigate, dolichprosopic, eleutherophillist, gerontophillia, hisbid, lucelence, misandronist, neophillia, nuciverous, olfactphobia, onamatophobia, orthpraxy, pathenophillia, pathenophobia, pedantrocracy, puellaphillist, schrecklichkreit, shistaceous, sorocide, taphephillia, tonitruphobia, tyrophillia, valedutinarian, vespertillian* link

earlier this year I did a week of wwftds on words taken from GD:
imparlibidinous (Bird had this as inparlibidinous)
schrecklichkeit (misspelled as schrecklichkreit)
percribrate (the misspelling in C. S. Bird was percribate)
mutuatitial (misspelled as mutatitial)
obaceration (Bird actually had this spelled correctly, but dropped it for lack of verification; as of Dec. 2008 it has a definitive headword in the online OED, whereas it was pretty well obscured (under obacerate) in OED2.)

[one of the disclaimers on my site: "You try spell-checking this stuff!"]

I've tried various knock-offs of the word in question here , flabuginous; no joy.

*you might actually recognize some of these; e.g., abecedarian, antediluvian, divagate, schistaceous, valetudinarian, etc.

Last edited by tsuwm; 11/29/09 05:50 PM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Lessee abcedarian.

OK, it spots it as a misspelling but doesn't offer the correct abecedarian. Google(R), however, when faced with abcedarian asks "Did you mean: abecedarian.

tsuwm Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: Faldage
Lessee abcedarian.

OK, it spots it as a misspelling but doesn't offer the correct abecedarian.].

I did. interestingly, OED(online) gives abcdarian as a variant.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 442 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith