Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
10 horse-related words or phrases that are used with respect to weddings. Welcome, poetree (I like your name, btw). Interesting thought. Let me see--wedding-related words of all kinds: vows, pledge, troth, gown, tuxedo, bridesmaids...aha! groomsmen, groom, bride, veil, aisle, presents... Oh great, I thought of two whole ones--including one you gave. I'll keep thinking. Um...maybe stamp, in a Jewish wedding? (That goblet thing.)

Z
Zed Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Z
Originally Posted By: BranShea
references: wrapped
What intrigues me however, speaking of horses, is why the horse mackerel is called horse mackerel. You're welcome to answer that. (horses don't eat fish nor does horse mackerel have hoofs)

I can't give you an answer but it doesn't seem to be just in English.
In Spanish a male and female dog are "perro y perra"; cats would be "gato y gata"; horses are "caballo y yegua." A caballa is a mackerel.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Hmmm. Googling "etimologia de caballa" yields zero hits.

Dunno if the fact that Spanish caballo derives from the Latin caballus, 'gelded horse' makes any difference. Yegua comes from the standard Latin equa, feminine of equus.

Last edited by Faldage; 11/12/09 11:53 AM.
Faldage #187756 11/12/09 12:20 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
caballa
Quote:
Pez teleósteo, de tres a cuatro decímetros de largo, de color azul y verde con rayas negras por el lomo. Vive en cardúmenes en el Atlántico Norte y se pesca activamente para su consumo. (link).
The Atlantic mackerel, in Spanish, caballa, macarela, or in taxonomy, Scomber scombrus (link). In Middle English makerel also meant a 'pimp, bawd' (link), and this meaning was carried over from French; of ultimate unknown etymology, though it might be connected with English make, German machen.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
zmjezhd #187760 11/12/09 03:04 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Ha, the Atlantic; that's my mackerel! Now we know all about it ,
bis auf die Gräten.

old hand
old hand
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ A Sad Tail ~~~~~~~~~~

This was to be a very exciting event, based on what was dun to arrive at this point. Being a Jewish wedding, there was, of course, the canter, who came through the gait looking very foal of himself. When he began his job, however, it was clear he should have been more careful at the football game, as out came some awful sounds that revealed he was completely hoarse. The parents began to rack their brains for a solution. The canter apologized for having to bale out on them, and sadly left the bridle party without a singer. Their luck went from bad to worse, as a sudden colt front blew in, chilling all the guests and family alike. So upset was the father, he was overheard saying "Dam this city and it's changeable weather". The mare fact of having him udder this curse was so offensive, everyone stud up and left.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
smile Though I'm not up to checking them all I suspect 13 words of being horse-related. Am I right?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
smile Though I'm not up to checking them all I suspect 13 words of being horse-related. Am I right?

nay.

(actually, you are, but I couldn't pass it by.)

Last edited by Buffalo Shrdlu; 11/12/09 08:17 PM.

formerly known as etaoin...
journeyman
journeyman
Paralysis, brought to a atop is what I have always heard in relation to this phrase. Literally the horse would stop if the reins did happen to fall and get wrapped around the axle. I imagine it would be a bad accident for all involved. I wonder if this also happens when in horse racing, pacers break their stride or gait and wind up out of the race. I have also heard it used in the context if someone says this phrase about themselves they are about to scream.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu

nay.

(actually, you are, but I couldn't pass it by.)

Actually, she's not! And I'm not counting any repeats. But hay, maybe y'all aren't up to the challenge... ;0)

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,317
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 688 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,534
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith