Print Thread
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#18798 02/17/01 03:52 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
For all the Worker Bees who have not taken off for the long President's Day wekkend in USA, and who are here at the Board where they really belong you may enjoy a visit to : www.Speakout.com/VoteMatch where you can take a test to see which of the US presidential candidates most closely matches your views. This might be fun for those living in other countries. I just checked and it's still in operation. It will also give you your political philosophy category a la US! Have fun.
wow

#18799 02/18/01 10:20 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I had a play with this a few weeks ago (thanks Wow), and it told me that I would be voting for Ralph Nader. I guess, in American terms, that puts me firmly with what is known as the Loony Left. Interestingly enough in Zild political terms I'm slighty right of centre. What does that make our left, then?

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#18800 02/18/01 10:54 AM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
>I guess, in American terms, that puts me firmly with what is known as the Loony Left. Interestingly enough in Zild political terms I'm slighty right of centre.

My point precisely! [grin] I think that the same would be true in Australia, Britain and certainly the vast majority of Europe! This is one of the reasons why I think "liberal" means left in the US and to me (I won't speak for others) it means MOR.

PS My results were not surprising - 89% Ralph Nader, Joseph Leiberman 66%, Al Gore 62%, George W Bush 16% (worrying that one!) and I didn't even express a preference on some domestic issues that I didn't know enough about, eg "the three strikes rule". In the UK, I'd describe myself as a little to the left of centre, where does that put those who are more left wing than me! I just hope that this is enough to put me on someone's "worrying troublemaker" list - I'll never get a visa again!

#18801 02/18/01 02:13 PM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
>who have not taken off for the long President's Day weekend in USA

Wot, another holiday!? It really is very, very quiet around here!

#18802 02/18/01 08:27 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear jmh,
Yes, and we really look forward to it here in North East USA ... a long weekend in middle of winter to do what you like. It's Presidents Day ... which is a combined celebration. We used to have Lincoln on Feb 12 (some observed with day off, some didn't) and Washington's birthday (everyone observed) on Feb. 22.
There was a hullabaloo some years ago about holidays falling on inconvenient (mid-week) days so a lot were mooshed together so we have more long weekends.
(They haven't had the nerve to mess with the Fourth of July or Christmas yet but I'm keeping an eagle eye on them!)
I miss everybody too. If they don't come back soon I may have to do some work or vacuum the house (HORRORS )
wow

#18803 02/19/01 02:54 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
the long President's Day

Thanks for your explanation for non-US'ns, wow. Had me worried earlier - figured it must be something to do with Big Bill Clinton

W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
The Green Party got Nader to run partly because of his name recognition. The GP would be eligible for federal "matching funds" for campaigning if they got a certain percentage of the popular vote. Don't ask .. I've forgotten the % and whether not they made it.

Three Strikes rule ... if someone is convicted of three felonies they MUST go to prison for life (I think)
For more info you'll just have to search ... it's a holiday and I ain't agonna get serious.
wow

old hand
old hand
wow said: "The Green Party would be eligible for federal "matching funds" for campaigning if they got a certain percentage of the popular vote. Don't ask .. I've forgotten the % and whether not they made it."

It was a measly 5%, and matching funds were achieved only in enlightened states like Minnesota and Oregon.

Call me the Loony Left, call me a throwaway voter, just don't call me late for dinner!

J
old hand
old hand
J
enlightened states like Minnesota

Ah yes, where they elect professional wrestlers governor.

And it's a little strange that they would give Nader more than 5% when their governor was in the Reform party, which is generally considered farther right than the Republicans.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
jazz, this chart represents the minnesota political spectrum:

wellstone<---------------------------------------->grams
                           |
|
|
ventura

Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 676 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith