About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: latishya

I have tried to read up on this but still do not understand it. In the English of my country it is most often used in a positive sense of cakes and other baked confectioneries. The extreme aversion to the word I find bewildering. Perhaps I am better off this way.
But, Latysh, are there not in your native language or languages words that irritate you and others when used in a conversation? Not particularly urban or youngster's slang , but just fashionable words that are overused?
There is in French a word that irritates me. In conversations, they very often say: -'génial' for any little thing or idea they think funny, good or pleasant. It baffles me. I never dared make a comment on it, because it does not seem to irritate them one bit.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Here's my top ten most annoying words in English:

1. the
2. of
3. to
4. and
5. a
6. in
7. is
8. it
9. you
10. that

The whole list.

But seriously folks, I really cannot even begin to comprehend why people are annoyed with words. It's like saying that sand annoys you. I can see being annoyed with the people who use the words.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
old hand
old hand
Same as. I get a bit peeved by misuse sometimes, not often, but more by annoying usage. Like Uncle Z says, don't blame the gun.

L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
Originally Posted By: BranShea
[quote=latishya]
But, Latishya, are there not in your native language or languages words that irritate you and others when used in a conversation? Not particularly urban or youngster's slang , but just fashionable words that are overused?
There is in French a word that irritates me. In conversations, they very often say: -'génial' for any little thing or idea they think funny, good or pleasant. It baffles me. I never dared make a comment on it, because it does not seem to irritate them one bit.

It is a question of degree. There are words whose sound I dislike but from what I read about moist it seems to generate an unusual aversion a real loathing or revulsion not merely a "oh that's an ugly word" sort of reaction.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: zmjezhd
Here's my top ten most annoying words in English:
1. the 2. of 3. to 4. and 5 6. in 7. is 8. it 9. you10. that The whole list.But seriously folks, I really cannot even begin to comprehend why people are annoyed with words. It's like saying that sand annoys you. I can see being annoyed with the people who use the words.
laugh laugh laugh -- That really made me laugh. Excuberantly! Annoyed with the people only the for second they use THE word. Toppie. GRRRrrr.....

Sorry Latishya, I always struggle with both with the lenght of your name and always must take an extra look for what to put first, y or i. It doesn't annoy me, but....

L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
Originally Posted By: BranShea
[quote=zmjezhd]Here's my top ten most annoying words in English:

Sorry Latishya, I always struggle with both with the lenght of your name and always must take an extra look for what to put first, y or i. It doesn't annoy me, but....

it was not primarily for you Branshea. I know you tried and did not intentionally chop my name to one ugly syllable.

latishya #187266 10/12/09 10:54 PM
old hand
old hand
Why is one syllable ugly?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Why is one syllable ugly?

Could be because of the meaning of लत (i.e., lat) meaning in Hindi (see especially entry 3 at link).

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
zmjezhd #187270 10/13/09 02:14 AM
Jackie Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Good heavens, it sure is easy to cause offense even within one's own culture, isn't it? Let alone cross-culturally. There was an Irishman here a while back who posted that some particular slang term for an Irish person was highly offensive. I remember being surprised reading that, because to me all the nicknames gave the same emotional response (pretty much none). I can't even remember for sure which one he said it was.

zmjezhd #187271 10/13/09 07:55 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Interesting page;gee,how do you find them! There is one lat that's not that bad:
लत lat, = S لتا लता latā, s.f. A creeper; a vine; hanging branch of a creeper; a branch; a tendril; a thread;—the musk-creeper (said to grow in the Dakkhan, and to be used medicinally);—the plant commonly called priyaṅgu; the gramineous plant priyaṅgu; the gramineous plant Trigonella corniculata, related to the Trigonella_foenum-graecum, which we know as fenugreek or fenegriek. The seeds are used in cooking and are said to be beneficial.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,318
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 775 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,535
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith