Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Jackie Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
I just realized, having watched two M*A*S*H episodes fairly close together, that the same word is used in each, and both conversations involved a prisoner. The word sounds remarkably like "polio". Does that mean prisoner?

I did not try to look this up on-line because of my experience trying to look up the sounds of Japanese words: all I got were sites offering Japanese characters.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I looked at an English-Korean-English dictionary online, and the result for prisoner included 포로 (polo. Seems close.

Korean has one of the best orthographies in Asia IMHO.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: zmjezhd

In the whole world, as far as that goes.

L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L

what makes it so?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
It's pretty much one to one in its correspondence of symbol to sound and the characters themselves were designed rather than just happening and they bear at least some correspondence to what is going on in the mouth when the sound is spoken. I'm sure Nuncle Z can explicate in greater detail, complete with examples.

L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
Originally Posted By: Faldage
they bear at least some correspondence to what is going on in the mouth when the sound is spoken.

devanagari is 'pretty much one to one in its correspondence of symbol to sound' but this idea is fascinating. a symbol that is somehow related to the mechanics of producing the sound it represents? truly interesting.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Devanagari, and other Brahmi-based scripts come close, though there are little ad hoc kludges and some inconsistencies. Another script which tried to tie the manner and place of articulation in which the phone shape was the conscript Tengwar by JRR Tolkien (link). Hangul was designed by a royal committee of scholars solely for use with the Korean language. Devanagari evolved from Brahmi script and was adapted to different languages with different phonoligcal inventories (like most writing systems in the world).

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
Devanagari, and other Brahmi-based scripts come close, though there are little ad hoc kludges and some inconsistencies.

like the way that pronouncing the name of the most famous building in all india the way it is spelled would give you away as a non-native speaker? smile

L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
zmjezhd, i forgot to ask if you could expand on faldage's comment about the korean characters having something to do with what goes on in mouth when making them?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
could [you] expand on faldage's comment about the korean characters having something to do with what goes on in mouth when making them?

Here's a better explanation than I can do: link. Basically, different parts of the composite glyphs map to manner and place of articulation (link) and other features such as aspiration. Besides Tengwar and hangul, there are some other featural alphabets (link), such as Shavian and Visible Speech.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 435 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith