Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
isnt asimov also credited with coining 'robotics' before there was such an industry?

F
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
F
Originally Posted By: latishya
isnt asimov also credited with coining 'robotics' before there was such an industry?

indeed... but it really wouldnt count as a new word, just an extension of 'robot' which of course is from Karel Capeks Czech Play RUR, the word meaning 'serf'/'slave'.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
R.U.R. (‘Rossum's Universal Robots’) (1920)
-ron o.

F
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
F
Also, its been quite some time since I heard anyone insist that 'Robot' be pronounced correctly with the 't' silent, rather than as 'Roh-Baht'... i guess we have Hollywood to credit for that...

L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
Originally Posted By: Fieldgunner

indeed... but it really wouldnt count as a new word, just an extension of 'robot' which of course is from Karel Capeks Czech Play RUR, the word meaning 'serf'/'slave'.

anyone who knows anything about robots already knows that but the parameters of this discussion were as follws:

"a word exists before the concept does"

the word "robotics" existed before the concept of robotics did in just the same way that the words artificial and satellite existed as words before Clarke put them together to describe a concept that did not exist when he coined the phrase.

I am also confused by this
Quote:
its been quite some time since I heard anyone insist that 'Robot' be pronounced correctly with the 't' silent
"Correctly"? By whose fiat? I do not speak czech and feel no obligation to try to pronounce the English word 'robot' as if it were the czech word from which it was derived any more than I feel obliged to pronounce yacht as if it were the dutch word from which it was derived. Defining 'correctly' as "common in standard variants" the robot does not have a silent "t" in English and since it is now an English word that is enough for me.

F
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
F
Re 1... the word exists before the concept does.

That was just an aside in the discussion, my friend... actually the discussion is about inventing new words/phrases inspired by science fiction. Though most of us here are actually just putting up words that have already been used, I started the thread with the hope of hearing some original ones.

Re2...Pronunciation of 'Robot'.

I apologise if it seems to you that i can somehow, over the internet, 'oblige' you to speak the word in a certain way, thus inhibiting your freedom of choice...duh!
You are right, of course. In english, the word does have the 't' audible. I stand corrected.

Back on topic-

Psyron- massless, weightless, chargeless particle which travels faster than light and bends time-space in its path as it travels carrying information between telepaths. Also shows wavelike properties and thus...Psyflux- roughly, brainwaves.

laugh

latishya #185923 07/19/09 09:51 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
robot

From the Czech word robota 'servitude' < rab slave'. Our word slave is from the (Latin) ethnonym Sclavus Slav' (cf. Russian слава, slava, 'fame', слово, slovo, 'word') < PIE *kleu- 'to hear'. And serf is from latin servus 'slave, servant'

silent t

I have never heard this, but it makes no sense at all. The word robot is a borrowing of the Czech word robota in which the t is pronounced. Besides androids and automata, there was the medieval Jewish story of the Golem (Yiddish goylem) created by Rabbi Loew of Prague. In French, robot is pronounced without voicing the t, but as the play R.U.R. was translated from the Czech (by Paul Sever who also translated The Good Soldier Švejk) and not the French, I cannot see how this has any bearing on the English pronunciation.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: Fieldgunner
Psyron

Psyron 0bvious

tsuwm?

formerly known as etaoin...
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
you rong?

tsuwm #185927 07/19/09 04:38 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Eye-wrung fluttered by.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,317
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 811 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,534
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith