About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
T
OP Offline
T
Okay, so this has devolved into a "pull my finger kind" of discussion. Thanks for the input "Wordsmiths." I'll ply my wares elsewhere.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Well hi! TitoMatito, how hard have you kept on searching yourself.

link

link

To me it looks like from some psychological trials this term has entered the fashionable scene, because you also find it in blogs a.s. Something to do with the difference in anticipation by women of the male gaze and the difference in anxiety it brings up in contrast to the anticipation from a female gaze. Well,

A shred from an entry: "She might have so internalized the male gaze that she might, before she catches herself, scrutinize their appearance and calculate whether they are worthy ..."

There are more terms in use that nobody really quite gets what it's all about, but as long as it doesn't show, it's allright.
If you see the light and are willing to report back, much obliged.

conspicuous consumption article on this one.

Z
Zed Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Z
Sorry, TitoM, having never heard the phrase before I got distracted.

T
OP Offline
T
(Apologies if the irony wasn't evident in my last comment. Personally, I'm not a big fan of using emoticons.)

Yes, BranShea, that's the same impression that I got from perusing the web. Your conspicuous consumption link is exactly the kind of answer I was hoping for "internalized male gaze."

Being a specialized term, I suppose I'll have to join up with some psychology and feminist forums in order to get a handle on this.

Thanks for the effort everyone. If I track it down, I'll report back.

P
stranger
stranger
P
This subject is vast and a difficult one to explain in a few sentences but I will try. This phrase springs from the fact that we live in a patriarchy, and through advertising, mass media, films, and institutions such as schools or "fashion design manufacturers" we have all, to some degree internalized "the male gaze".

Our patriarchy by terms of definition is misogynist and also happens to be racist. The male gaze is a series of reference points for straight white males that have been manipulated and sculpted using living women as their medium of art. Freud's nephew of all people, started to work with advertisers sometime in the 1930's (I believe) in order to reach the consumer's unconscious. They used female archetypes and constructed "femininity" in order to sell merchandise and these idea were then conflated with actual living people and real women.

The "male gaze" has been internalized by everyone in this patriarchy, not just women. It is the default POV for all people, all media, and all art forms- for all things created by and for the patriarchy. When something is designated as "female" or "feminine" it must be in a special category.

Much like racism was legally institutionalized in this culture until recently, the male POV is institutionalized to an over-arching degree. Some examples of institutionalized racism are segregation in the armed forces, in schools, in housing, in job opportunities, in professional sports and in miscegenation marriages. Many of these laws have been over-turned, yet our schools have never been more segregated, our housing is largely segregated and racism, like institutionalized misogyny, is still the default practice in our society, President Obama not withstanding.

The LGTBQ community is now fighting for their civil rights, much like the black community fought for theirs, however laws can be changed but people's prejudices remain.

Women serving in the armed forces in two declared wars the US is involved in are more at risk for rape and assault from their fellow soldiers than they are from any foreign enemy. These are facts, and can be checked. Feel free.

When women try to become these imaginary constructs they are filled with self-loathing when they inevitably fail. Men are trained to think that only one type of representation of women is attractive, and that above all, the most highly valued trait in a woman is her appearance. It is of utmost importance in this culture to be young, to be thin, and to be beautiful.
When a woman fails at these things, she fails at life. When she achieves these things , she is most likely to be raped, attacked or slut-shamed. (Look at some rape statistics for yourself)

I am amazed that you did not get a better answer on this site. I suggest you, and anyone else who didn't know the answer, look at Feminism 101, as useful blog for people who have never heard of the male gaze.

The male gaze actually effects you and everyone every day of your life in this country, whether you know it or not. You don't have to be female, a feminist, or aware of it for it to effect you, so isn't it better to know what is at play behind the machinations of your society?

Hope this helps. Two invaluable blogs;
-Feminism 101
-The Masculine Mystique

I Blame the Patriarchy (but this if for advanced readers)

Last edited by piewackett; 07/01/09 11:21 PM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
You've done your best to point out what is going on with this internalized male gaze. Thank you. But do I really miss something when I've never had to much worries about the male gaze and have enjoyed the human gaze in general? ( most of the time, not all the time)

"You don't have to be female, a feminist, or aware of it for it to effect you, so isn't it better to know what is at play behind the machinations of your society?"

Don't you think there are myriads of things at play behind and through the machinations of our society?

P.S. What's new about this awareness except for the new nomification: internalized male gaze?

T
OP Offline
T
Before we get bogged down in debating the fine points of the manifesto, could I get a definition here?

Would it be: the subconscious awareness experienced by a woman who has assumed and attempts to adopt the standard of beauty which provokes the salivating, gob-smacked leer of an XY breeder?

Would that more or less be what it is?

old hand
old hand

Would it be: the subconscious awareness experienced by a woman

Internalized Male Gaze

From the article in your first post I would have thought the subconscious awareness inherent (or indoctrinated as pie suggests) in males. In short, the way a man views a female sexually.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: TitoMatito
Would it be: the subconscious awareness experienced by a woman who has assumed and attempts to adopt the standard of beauty which provokes the salivating, gob-smacked leer of an XY breeder?

There's a chance Z will comment on that.

Z
Zed Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Z
Since you asked..
It seems to me to be more than just about sex from what PieW. says. The male point of view is the default position for society on many topics. Chick flick and chick lit are accepted as specialized genres; there are no terms for movies which appeal mainly to men. Three Stooges anyone? This implies that what men enjoy is the usual/normal while entertainment designed for women is marginalized.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 442 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith