Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
R
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
R
It took me a minute, but I realized that Khali Gibran was saying "The more we have the more afraid we are of losing it." Very relevant to the current economic situation and to the many high profile people who contributed to arriving here.

stranger
stranger
"Is not dread of thirst when your well is full, thirst that is unquenchable?"

I would go rather with, the thirst is the peacefulness that abundance/decadence does not bring, that it only comes through reconciliation with ourselves.

Z
Zed Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Z
For me thirst must be the absence of peace.
I would read it as fear deprives us of peace even in safety/plenty.

One of the things I like about proverbs is that we each read them through the filter of our own experience.
We use them to evaluate cognitive function - the meaning is less important than the patient's ability to think in the abstract. e.g. "a rolling stone gathers no moss" might be explained as "if you stop trying anything new you get stuck in a rut" or "if you can't stick to something you won't succeed." On the other hand the response "if you roll a rock over the moss gets scraped off" makes you worry about their ability to manage complex situations.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Really smile

stranger
stranger
Yes, I am learning that even in science, it is our consciousness that ultimately is the deciding factor how we will perceive or act to something.

stranger
stranger
I've been looking for a place to bring up the quote for today's word, "obloquy", and think that this is as good a place to put it, since I don't want to make a new thread for it.

"Evil is like a shadow - it has no real substance of its own, it is simply a lack of light. You cannot cause a shadow to disappear by trying to fight it, stamp on it, by railing against it, or any other form of emotional or physical resistance. In order to cause a shadow to disappear, you must shine light on it." -Shakti Gawain

This I feel relates well to the OP, and her website is very interesting.

http://www.shaktigawain.com/

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Mmm, Sparkle (welcome, by the way!), that quote makes me think of a book I'm about halfway through right now: Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. Phaedrus was trying to run away from himself because he was too rational, and was using rationality to attack...er, let me amend that to...analyze himself (his entire being, that is, not in the sense of psychoanalysis). I am not sure yet, but I think this "shining of the light" on himself may have been what killed him.

stranger
stranger
Thank you smile

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 442 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith