About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
old hand
old hand
Kia orana Latishya,
Us Cookies usually say, Pe'ea koe or pe'ua where the response would be, meitaki ua. We dropped the H a few generations ago. But yes, Meitaki means Fine, good, well, a positive affirmation.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Mataklap is still in use here, of which I'm not sure if it means 'mad'- angry or 'mad'-crazy. Doesn't susu mean sweet in general?

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
No, sweet as an adjective is manis and sweet as a noun is permen.

Bingley
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I should have known. The ketjap manis is the sweetened one of my two bottles of ketjap. (sorry to end up in the food department, but the Indonesian kitchen is without any doubt the most delicate, delicious, refined and variable kitchen in the world. If only the world knew)

L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
Originally Posted By: BranShea
I should have known. The ketjap manis is the sweetened one of my two bottles of ketjap. (sorry to end up in the food department, but the Indonesian kitchen is without any doubt the most delicate, delicious, refined and variable kitchen in the world. If only the world knew)

i once had an elderly dutch friend who spent 30 years in the Dutch Merchant Marine based in Jakarta and his rijstafel was heavenly, with a particularly delicious homemade sambal oelek and nasi goreng. as much as i loved his excellent indonesian food, indian food still comes first for me - aloo paratha and saag paneer washed down with chai then fresh kulfi.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I was't thinking of nasi goreng, which is generally a remix of yesterday's left overs, good though it can be, but the real thing, the days-long cooking of all different little dishes and side dishes.
Indian food is wonderful too. Only we have very little good indian food restaurants. But true, your Indian spice mixes are marvellous. ( health food store have many Indian things, even paneer)

L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
Originally Posted By: BranShea
the real thing, the days-long cooking of all different little dishes and side dishes.

as was I which is why I said rijstafel. I know that it took him two days to prepare one. his nasi goreng was definitely not "a remix of leftovers"

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
OK, the real thing! Got your point.
Back to Mit. It's wonderful you could and did choose Indonesian as a subject in highschool. We never had that free choice even though I'm happy with what I did learn.

Can you choose any language you want?

stranger
stranger
I made a post about the significance we place in names in light if this week's theme, and one of the girls who I'm in teacher training with has "hari" as part of her spiritual name. It originates from Sanskrit, and is from the root word "har", meaning creative; as in the creative aspect of God, and "hari" is that creation in action.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
The Mata Hari we departed from certainly was creative. I tracked down the meaning and origin of her real names:
Margharetha: Babylonian -> daughter of the sea, child of light.
Geertruida: Germanic -> the powerful with spear.
Maybe she knew these meanings and it gave her creative ideas?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith