Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
M
Mit Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
EDIT 2: "Mata Hari" actually means sun, not sunrise. So everywhere that I've written sunrise just replace it with sun. Thanks for the help with that Bingley.

'Mata Hari' means 'sunrise' in Indonesian. It would probably literally translate to something like "eye of the day" or something, 'mata' being the word for 'eye' and 'hari' being the word for 'day'. Just thought people might be interested (sorry about starting a new topic for this, there was no topic on the word at the time as far as I know, unless I am working the forums wrong and it was hiding somewhere).

EDIT: Not sure if this is also relevant, but the word mata is also used to say what subjects are being studied, i.e. "mata pelajaran saya..." I think would translate roughly to "the subjects of my studies..., ("saya meaning "my," "pelajaran," being "studies (I think)". I'm not sure about this one, or how "mata" fits in. Maybe if there's someone who's done more than just high school Indonesian here they will be able clarify?)Just thinking that if there's another meaning of "mata" it could change the literal translation of "sunrise."

Last edited by Mit; 06/10/09 03:57 AM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
This is the perfect place for it and it's nice to hear beyond the simple story. I, for one, always like to hear more about name origins. Welcome aBoard.

old hand
old hand
Welcome aBoard.

Yep, I agree!
Mata has the same meaning in Cook Island Maori, Eyes. There is another. Mata Can also mean the face. As in: Mataora, 'lively face', or, Happy! smile

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Remembering my Dutch-Indonesian friend, bless his soul.

tanda mata : souvenir , keepsake, remembrance
main mata ( pronounce ma-een mata): to flirt
mata mata moesoeh: the eyes of the enemy

The Indonesians double the word for plural.

L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
Originally Posted By: olly
Welcome aBoard.

Yep, I agree!
Mata has the same meaning in Cook Island Maori, Eyes. There is another. Mata Can also mean the face. As in: Mataora, 'lively face', or, Happy! smile

Dr Ranginui Walker once listed more than 20 meanings for "mata" in NZ Māori during a discussion on the limitations of a small consonant set.

Last edited by latishya; 06/09/09 11:28 PM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Welcome aBoard.

Yep, I agree!

I have recently met a man from New Zealand, and greet him each time with Kia Ora. Just thought you'd like
to know since you told me the term.

----please, draw me a sheep----
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
>>'Mata Hari' means 'sunrise' in Indonesian.<<

No, it doesn't, it means 'sun'. Sunrise would be 'terbit matahari', though it's not common. Far more common is 'fajar', meaning 'dawn'(quite a common man's name).

Another meaning of 'mata': point (of a needle, dagger, etc.)

In compounds 'mata' often means something like 'item', e.g., mata acara agenda item, mata belanja budget item, mata pelajaran subject of study.

Some other compounds with 'mata': mata kaki ankle (lit. eye of the foot/leg), mata kayu wood knot (lit. eye of wood/timber), (telur) mata sapi fried egg (lit. bull's/cow's eye), mata susu nipple (lit. milk eye), mata uang currency (lit. money eye)

Bingley
M
Mit Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
Originally Posted By: Bingley
>>'Mata Hari' means 'sunrise' in Indonesian.<<

No, it doesn't, it means 'sun'. Sunrise would be 'terbit matahari', though it's not common. Far more common is 'fajar', meaning 'dawn'(quite a common man's name).

Another meaning of 'mata': point (of a needle, dagger, etc.)

In compounds 'mata' often means something like 'item', e.g., mata acara agenda item, mata belanja budget item, mata pelajaran subject of study.

Some other compounds with 'mata': mata kaki ankle (lit. eye of the foot/leg), mata kayu wood knot (lit. eye of wood/timber), (telur) mata sapi fried egg (lit. bull's/cow's eye), mata susu nipple (lit. milk eye), mata uang currency (lit. money eye)

Oops. Sorry. Like I said, High School Indonesian. I'll edit my post and fix it.

old hand
old hand
Kia Ora

Meitaki Luke. Thank you

L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
Kia Ora

Meitaki Luke. Thank you

Is meitaki used as thank you in Cook Island Maori? My Rarotongan friends told me it was roughly equivalent to kapai in New Zealand Māori. If I practice my tiny bit of NZ Māori on them with "kei te pehea koe?" They all answer, "meitaki".

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 676 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith