Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
OED has 1597 for the earliest citation of pissabed for dandelion. Dandelion itself is dated back to 1513, not that much earlier.

And, le Trésor de la langue française informatisé gives late 15th century (ca.1483 by another source) for pissenlit in French. That's a gap of almost five and a half centuries between the Norman conquest and 1597. There were a lot of French loanwords coming into English in the 15th and 16th centuries. And pissabed is not a loanword, but may be a loan translation (calque). Because other Romance languages have a similar word (e.g., Spanish meacama) and given its late citation date, I think it's more likely the English probably borrowed and translated it from early modern French. OTOH, dandelion was probably borrowed from Norman or Anglo-Norman.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
N
Nereida Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
N
I have found the discussion about dandelions interesting. It has covered a lot of ground, as the plant itself is wont to do !

Thank you for the additional historical background, zmjezhd. I enjoy learning about the changes in the English language, especially after the Norman invasion.

Have we said everything we have to say on this topic? I think maybe we have.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
All that matters I guess. Only on the point of appreciation I'd like to say that the English are best off with their name for this bright flower.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Have we said everything we have to say on this topic?

Maybe not. I asked a francophone friend at work yesterday about pissenlit, and he told me about a saying: Bouffer (ou manger) les pissenlits par la racine. ("To eat dandelions by the root.") It means to be dead and buried. I told him that we say "pushing up daisies."

There is an online Anglo-Norman Dictionary at the Anglo-Norman Hub site (link). Searching on the English dandelion, I find two entries:
Quote:
dandelion (?)
squinant, dellion, mastic Pop Med 330.24

dandelion
Dens leonis: g[allice] dent de leon Bot Gloss 119
den[s] leonis [...] G[allice], dent de lion, A[nglice], doleroune Alph 49.7
dente de lyoun Medical Codeswitching 145
Alph is Alphita, a medico-botanical glossary, ed. J. L. G. Mowat, Anecdota Oxoniensia, Med. & Mod. Ser. I, ii, Oxford, 1887, and shorter versions in BM MSS Addit. 15236, ff. 2r-22r, 172v-197v (A), and Sloane 284, ff. 1r-48v (B). (This work is from about 1400, almost the end of the Middle English period. Digitized on Google Books link.)

Bot Gloss is T. Hunt, ‘The Botanical Glossaries in MS London BL Add. 15236’, Pluteus 405 (1986-87), 101-150.

Pop Med is Tony Hunt, Popular Medicine in Thirteenth-Century England, Cambridge, 1990.

Searching on the Middle English word deleroune 'dandelion' (see above), I came across this discussion (in German, link) about the words dandelion and pissenlit. One of the commentators there seems to think that dandelion was never French, but only Anglo-Norman. Though, the discussion is in German, one person has copied the entry for dent-de-lioun from the Dictionary of Middle English, which includes citations not in the OED1 entry. Another entry in this dictionary, under wort, has another Middle English word for dandelion: bitter-wort.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
N
Nereida Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
N

Thank you for unearthing more information about the English/French connection [ sorry if that is a groan I sense !] I like the theory of Anglo/Norman for dandelion, and find it interesting to know of the French equivalent to our pushing up daisies. Wort [ lungwort, masterwort for example] means plant in old English, so perhaps this was the pre-Norman name.

Z
Zed Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Z
And on a non-word tangent if you pick a dandelion with a longish, thickish stem and lop off the flower and blow in one end you get a - well not a whistle exactly but a musical moo rather like a kazoo. If it doesn't work take a little more off the thin end. You can even nip a little hole part way along for a two note kazoo.
Probably the worst tasting musical instrument there is.

Zed #184368 04/19/09 03:47 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I never considered you capable of lopping of heads grin
and I'm stil wondering about the name. In German it is called Löwenzahn so lion's tooth. I've been trying to find why among all the other names we have for what we generally call 'horseflower' the lion never comes into picture.
Neither can I find why it is called 'horseflower'.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Do the Hollandaises no longer say leeuwetand but paardebloem?

How about pisbloem 'pee-flower', varkensbloem 'pig-flower', elkbloem 'moose-flower', konijneblad 'bunny-leaf', ganzetong 'goose-tongue', luusbloem (? 'louse-flower'), kettingbloem 'chain-flower' (link)?

I've no clue why it's called 'horse-bloom' in Dutch.

[Addendum: It seems there are more names: Frisian hynsteblom (??), Flemish zeekebedde (? 'sick-a-bed', my Flemish ain't what it ought to be) (link).]

Last edited by zmjezhd; 04/19/09 07:53 PM.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Ah, I had that same page but overlooked the leeuwentand that came in the end. They may have dropped the tooth as we also have a leeuwenbek (mouth). I'm really glad that someone here speaks fluent Dutch occasionally smile.

Z
Zed Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Z
I always thought the lion part ought to have come from the golden mane. It does look like a dandy lion's mane. grin

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,328
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 703 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,539
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith