Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
You cannot learn a language without learning about the culture. And IMO the more you learn about other cultures the wider your mind will be and the better you will be at judging your own culture and what it takes for granted.

I agree, whole-heartedly, however, does this mean the US takes its lack of one specific culture for granted... possibly taking diversity for granted... or is *it just continually confused?

Z
Zed Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Z
I'll let a US'n answer for themselves. I think many Canadians esp. in smaller towns see Canada as having a culture with multiculturalism as the extras. Your basic steak and potatoes with a choice of buerre blanc, hoisin worcestershire or salsa. Those in areas with a larger immigrant population take for granted that the whole multicultural smorgesbord is part of our culture.

journeyman
journeyman
British culture, with modernization and a whole lot of extra sprinklings. That is America.

I exist! I am a pedant! I have a foreboding signature!
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I'm quite convinced that English is the most adaquate choice for being a global language.
I've read the newspaper daily while staying in your country and when I compare "obit" to our word "overlijdensberichten " when it's about obituaries it's pretty obvious who wins.

That's what made me wonder about an expression I read a lot:
"state-of-the-art" ... such and so.This seems to me leading to the opposite direction. Loosing adaquateness. Why not simply "the actual best". All those hyphens make for longer time writing.I think it a pretty pretentious and needlessly long expression.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
"state-of-the-art"

But, it's a nice choriamb. Actual best reminds me of also ran.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
sota

formerly known as etaoin...
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Choriamb definition:
4-syllable poetic foot: a poetic foot consisting of two short syllables between two long ones or two unstressed syllables between two stressed ones.

't's all new to me.

And sota? eta? sounds like a Japanese noodle soup.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
StateOfTheArt
SOTA.

formerly known as etaoin...
K
K_D Offline
stranger
stranger
K
In my opinion, language is a tool which carries forward the cultural values across generations. If Language is given less importance, ultimately the cultural values diminish over time.

I basically hail from South India, and my mother tongue is Tamil. I went abroad to pursue my university education. It was sad to note that many friends of mine who where originally speakers of Tamil, couldn't converse well in Tamil just because their parents insisted from the early age to use English at all levels(even at home). Also they patronized the West more, by means of watching American Sitcoms, shows, movies etc. I could see them losing their cultural identity over time.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
In that post five boxes up I should have said "lingua franca" in stead of "global language". I agree with you that it is very important to keep native languages alive. If only for the richness and fun of it. But English definitely was the easiest language to learn as a second language. (don't know how it is for Tamil speaking people)

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith