Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Avyy #182749 02/20/09 02:44 AM
L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
Language Log has a post about what seems to be the sad result of this obsession with keeping language static. Mr Halpern sounds like a scary angry man.

Z
Zed Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Z
Hi Avyy
I couldn't get in to read it either. But then I ask myself, do I want to spend time with scary angry people? hmmm.

Zed #182755 02/20/09 09:40 AM
A
A
Hi back Zed,
I have been here before and I know that not all of them are scary and angry; or maybe, not all of them are scary and angry at the same time. Besides, if and when the words begin to fly, I'll duck.

Zed #182756 02/20/09 10:58 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: Zed
Hi Avyy
I couldn't get in to read it either. But then I ask myself, do I want to spend time with scary angry people? hmmm.

Huh? Is this the freeratio site you couldn't get into? As far as I know, the scary, angry Mark Halpern doesn't have anything to do with freeratio (formerly Internet Infidels).

Or did I miss something again (not an unlikely possibility).

L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
Originally Posted By: Faldage
Originally Posted By: Zed
Hi Avyy

Huh? Is this the freeratio site you couldn't get into? As far as I know, the scary, angry Mark Halpern doesn't have anything to do with freeratio (formerly Internet Infidels).

Or did I miss something again (not an unlikely possibility).

You did not misunderstand me. The Language Log post about Halpern's rant seemed relevant to the similar theme of some posts in this thread. I could not make any sense of dalehileman's post at the other site or get the point of it which for me is how his posts here leave me too.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: dalehileman
I'm sorry that decimate doesn't mean 'kill one in ten' any more

**By coincidence Fal that's also one of my pet peeves just as "venue" has come to mean any location, activity, or even causal factor. Thus where "decimated venue" might formerly have meant a reduction by ten percent in the number of jurisdictions where a trial could be held, it might now mean the slaughter in a Far-Eastern country of a wedding party by a stray Allied bomb

,,,,,,or that candidate doesn't mean 'someone dressed all in white' or miniature doesn't mean 'painted red', but, as the Red Queen said, "You've got to run as fast as you can to stay in one place."

****Fal forgive an old fart on the threshold of senility of not Alzheimer's but you will have to explain the latter two perhaps using examples, though in my own defense when I relayed them to Laverne who is much smarter than I she didn't understand either

Candidate was handled quite nicely by tsuwm. Miniature derives, ultimately, from the Latin miniare, 'to color red'.

D
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
Originally Posted By: latishya
[quote=Zed]Hi Avyy
I couldn't get in to read it either...........Or did I miss something again (not an unlikely possibility).
............I could not make any sense of dalehileman's post at the other site or get the point of it which for me is how his posts here leave me too.

Hi lat: I sometimes get that reaction which always puzzles me. The frdb post was a dig at the massive technological and software incompetence of Dish Network and its indifference to its subscribers but facetiously cloaked in semantic terms so a to impart an inferential choice of implied allusions in order to elicit a diversity of rejoinders and incidentally constituting a rationale for propagating a media-centered grievance in a language-oriented venue, thereby increasing the probability of interception by the sympathetic industrial counterpart with ties to a pertinent intermediary

The foregoing tactic based on a proven observation that with given requirement or question your message is only six steps of exchange from reaching its intended goal; your probability of success, as with a Letter to the Editor in the Fourth Estate, increasing in direct proportion to the extent of its dissemination; a phenom worthy of a separate thread

As for other posts in WS if you would identify them with links I wold be most happy to discuss their meaning, if extant, or anything else of interest, being yours at dalehileman@me.com and apparently don't care who knows it

Thank you again lat and look Fwd to hearing from you

dalehileman
A
A
Originally Posted By: dalehileman

...implied allusions in order to elicit a diversity of rejoinders and incidentally constituting a rationale for propagating a media-centered grievance in a language-oriented venue, thereby increasing the probability of interception by the sympathetic industrial counterpart with ties to a pertinent intermediary

OooooF ! laugh laugh laugh

Avyy #182812 02/21/09 03:52 PM
D
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
Welcome Avyy you seem to possess a sense of humor and would discuss anything with you being dalehileman@me.com

dalehileman
L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
Miniature derives, ultimately, from the Latin miniare, 'to color red'.

This came up at Language Hat.Some supported the above statement, others disagreed.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 676 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith