Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

I have the fallacy of being rather black and white. I am not blaming Luther, but rather
saying that is probably a point when they disappeared pretty much for good from the
Protestant Bible, Luther or no. They are called Deuteroncanonical, meaning "secondary"
canonical, never completely accepted, but secondary, hence the 'deutero'.
My comment is that Hannukah's source is in Macabbees.
That is the only point I was trying to make, and some people consider Macabbes as Scripture.

----please, draw me a sheep----
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
The point with Hanukkah is that, while being recorded in some versions of the Bible, it is not mandated as a holiday. Lots of things were recorded in the Bible that aren't holidays. For example, there's no holiday that I know of celebrating the Baptism of Jesus by John.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
some versions of the Bible

I have always been fascinated by the issue of the canonicity of the books that make up the Tenakh/Old Testament and the New Testament. For example, one book, that was really quite popular and cited as scripture by Tertullian was the Shepherd of Hermas (in English and Greek). One book which nearly did not make it into the New Testament was the Book of Revelation (as well as some of the Epistles).

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Quote:
Originally Posted By: Faldage
The point with Hanukkah is that, while being recorded in some versions of the Bible, it is not mandated as a holiday. Lots of things were recorded in the Bible that aren't holidays. For example, there's no holiday that I know of celebrating the Baptism of Jesus by John.

Unless I misunderstand you, there are some denominations that celebrate the Baptism of
Jesus by John as a holy day, but not a holiday as you mention.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: LukeJavan8

Unless I misunderstand you, there are some denominations that celebrate the Baptism of

That may be. I just said that I didn't know of any. There's a lot of things I don't know, some of which I know I don't know and some of which I don't know I don't know. And a whole lot that I don't even know it's possible not to know. Do you know on what date the Baptism is celebrated?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: LukeJavan8

Quote:
That may be. I just said that I didn't know of any. There's a lot of things I don't know, some of which I know I don't know and some of which I don't know I don't know. And a whole lot that I don't even know it's possible not to know. Do you know on what date the Baptism is celebrated?

This really made me laugh. It fits me to a T. There is so much I don't know and want
to know. Thanks for the laugh
I have a friend who is a Roman priest, Catholic, I mean by Roman. I called him
and he told me the feast of the Baptism of the Lord by John/Baptist is Today: 11 January.
It occurs on the Sunday after the Epiphany which is celebrated by Roman Catholics on
January 6. Yet in states west of central standard time it is on the following or previous
Sunday. Go figure. I can't.
This discussion sure makes me wonder why any religion knows what is going on.
The basic Scripture is so "convoluted", to use a term. Some religions have some books
in the Bible, other's don't - no wonder they cannot get together and just seem to keep
splitting further. One wonders what Christ would say, to say nothing of Moses.
Anyhow, thanks for the chuckle.

Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Sorry to drop in on this serious conversation but the add under it caught my less serious eye:

Flawless Pearl Jewelry For Christmas
Make her remember this holiday with our pearls. Money back guarantee.
( pearls for free?)

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted By: BranShea
Sorry to drop in on this serious conversation but the add under it caught my less serious eye:

Flawless Pearl Jewelry For Christmas
Make her remember this holiday with our pearls. Money back guarantee.
( pearls for free?)

So...presumably if you gave them to someone with Alzheimer's you would get your money back.

old hand
old hand

There has been an alarming increase of late in the number of things I know absolutely nothing about!

old hand
old hand
Do we know who wrote Hebrews? Is that one that biblical scholars are pretty sure was written by Paul?

No we don't know who wrote it since it has no ascribed author, unlike all the other letters of Paul, which all begin with his name in the first line. That's one of the arguments, albeit from silence, against Pauline authorship. Paul might have written it, or he might not. Most scholars would say not. There is no totally definitive evidence, from the letter's contents, either way.

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,316
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 569 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,533
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith