Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#180662 12/03/08 04:07 PM
D
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
I am hoping to find in WS an ambitious writer/blogger who might wish to undertake a new and wonderful project

As I have mentioned before it's increasingly difficult to peddle one's works. As the veteran AWAD’er will no doubt agree, I myself am no latter-day Hemingway; but if he were alive today he would have a new reason to commit suicide

Although it was never easy, the process today is daunting. With the old kind I remember from my youth, you simply send a MS and if they liked it they published it and you got paid for it by the word or in the case of a book, you got royalties. But today it seems impossible to do it the old way apparently because the traditional publishers are so inundated. Since word processing makes it an estimated 25 times easier to compose and so for that reason there are 25 times as many writers, within a given period each one gets probably 625 times as many MS's on speculation

There are a daunting number of online sites where you might get published (Googing “online-publisher” will get you the better part of one million hits) but which are also devoid of any sort of compensation. Though a recent development is the “free” site where you might get a pittance for your article or book—Helium.com and lulu.com respectively come to mind--they all seem excessively complex. On the first page of any such site there are ten links and each link gets you a page with ten more links ad infinitum whereupon you eventually just give up. After much tribulation I had nonetheless successfully joined Helium, hoping I might submit an article but continuing links to more new requirements finally discouraged me

To further set hurdles, as late as 2003 most legitimate publishers astoundingly wouldn't accept a digital MS but required you snailmail a printed copy, presumably with return postage. If Ayn Rand were rejected by 12 publishers before she found one willing to publish her first major novel (The Fountainhad), today she might still be unsuccessful after 625x12 = 7500 tries and about $30,000 in postage

So there is in fact, a new kind of publisher predominant who will laugh if you suggest they pay you and instead, if you want to get your work in print you pay them. Then they might require additional payments if you want them to find a market for it but even then if it doesn’t prove successful you of course don’t get a penny from anybody. But you did get to choose its font and page size and the appearance of the cover

Thus in the digital world where sending manned rockets to the moon got so easy we quit doing it 40 years ago, it seems to me there ought to be an easier way for the aspiring author to find a suitable market. So somebody who knows how to do these things should start a new site. It would be easy to use and would work as follows:

The hopeful user would submit an email or a post containing boilerplate such as his name and address, the sort of pub for which it’s intended, and identify means of remuneration such as Pay Pal, etc. He would simply include his MS—a magazine article or book, for instance--as an attachment. That’s all he would be required to do

Admittedly the software for this new site I propose would be elaborate, demanding, and difficult in its algorithm because for instance it would have to be familiar with the requirements of thousands of publishers and therefore it might take months or years for even a highly competent crew of Administrators to establish. But it would be a boon to millions of amateur, fledgling, or even erstwhile writer such as I and possibly the professional who can’t spend a lifetime attempting to find a market for each composition, discourse, or document

After a quick scan if Admin of this new sight considered the MS at all promising, it would set into motion software which submits the MS (in digital form of course) to pubs —mags or booksellers—considered compatible. If not of course the author would soon get a rejection notice. Given even an outside chance, however, he might get the attention that would otherwise require him ten years of sweat and tears to perform alone; while eventually the Admin of this new site might realize a few cents’ profit by a modest cut from any successful pub or even in the case for instance of a best-seller, a substantial return

dalehileman
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Johnathon Clifford coined the term vanity press back in '59. He has a site (link).
Quote:
If you cannot find a mainstream publisher to publish your work at their expense, you must look on the whole process of publishing not as money invested to make you a return, but as money spent on a pleasurable hobby which you have enjoyed and which has provided you with well-manufactured copies of your book.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Not all 'self-publishing' need to be 'vanity-publishing'.
It's real nice and easy now to make a good memorial book for someone you feel deserves to be visible and remembered on pages.
And for some poets and musicians self- publishing and releasing
a record or CD on personal authority meant the start of true career. (But you need tot start a bit early with this, oh, and have some real potential)

Last edited by BranShea; 12/03/08 06:01 PM.
D
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
zm thank you for that link; yes, "vanity" was the adjective lurking in the back of my mind

Bran: " ...oh, and have some real potential)" Yes, as well as just a fortune in savings you can afford to fritter away

dalehileman
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
publishing industries(especially music?) are in the middle of a paradigm shift, with production and delivery being so different than just a few years ago. it is going to be very interesting to see where things will settle.

formerly known as etaoin...
D
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
eta thank you for that observation and indeed it will. Meanwhile are there any other participants with some writing background who might agree with my suggestions or who have found an expedient means to market your works

dalehileman
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Not all 'self-publishing' need to be 'vanity-publishing'.

This is true. I have self-published a book and have just about broken even on the endeavor. I also know of some self-published books that became publisher published after the fact: e.g., Robert Hall's Leave Your Language Alone! which was republished as Linguistics and Your Language. The last time, Dale complained about being the world's most unpublished author, I suggested the self=publication route and sent him some links, especially to POD (print on demand). He was not interested in spending his own money, but was looking for outside investors, either of the traditional publishing house kind or as in this current thread.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
in the middle of a paradigm shift

Indeed, I heard yesterday on the radio that Coldplay's album, Viva la Vida, had sold as 2M CDs and in 500K paid downloads. Pretty good for a medium that has been heralded as the end of music, books, movies, et al. It would be interesting to see the breakdown in the cost of manufacturing, inventory, shipping, selling, etc., physical CDs, as opposed to downloading bits.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
D
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
eta, zm: What's happening, are we the only participants remaining at this site

dalehileman
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: dalehileman
eta, zm: What's happening, are we the only participants remaining at this site

well, we're probably the only ones that care much about this sort of thing!

formerly known as etaoin...
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith