Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#18084 02/08/01 11:58 PM
H
addict
addict
H
In the States, "I've gotten" would normally be used for the continuing meaning ("I've gotten a bit heavier
lately"), but the possession meaning would be expressed without "got", simply as "I have a list" or "I don't
have a list".

US'ns also use the possessive form "I've got," which brings us full circle on this thread, as it's used in "I gotta go."

Gotta go,

Hyla

p.s. Was tickled to notice that Ænigma reads gotta as gotten - maybe it's paying more attention than I thought.

#18085 02/09/01 04:22 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Perhaps I misunderstood Bobyoungbait's post, but I thought he was saying that some USians (v. themians?) use both I've got and I've gotten.

There's no problem about the difference between I've gotten heavier and I got heavier,as cited by Hyla. That's just the normal difference between past simple and present perfect. The past signifies that we're talking solely about the past and the present is not a concern while the present perfect signifies a present effect.

For those USians who do use both forms (I've gotten and I've got), what's the difference?

Bingley

Bingley
#18086 02/09/01 05:44 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I've looked at three different dictionaries - Websters, Merriam Websters and the COD - and they all simply describe "gotten" as one of two possible past participles of "get", the other being "got". They also all agree about the etymology, from Middle English from German. If anything, "gotten" is closer to its source than "got". Usage seems to be regional as suggested above, but the use of "gotten" is neither obsolete nor incorrect. In NZ, the use of "gotten" would be seen as unusual, but only the tuppenny linguistic police would even comment.

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#18087 02/09/01 07:31 AM
distinctive time-warped features of the USA tongue.

I am just returned from an increasingly desperate and, of course, unsuccessful search for Bill Bryson's Made In America which I was hoping I would be correct in referring people to as an interesting and readable account of some of the "Americanisms" which many of my countrypersons profess to despise, but which are in fact quite pure English as she was once spoke, if a little outdated in some quarters. I hope this is the book I am thinking of. (sic) A couple of the early chapters are relevant, I think. If not, someone will enlighten us. Really, looking for a particular book in this house is like looking for ... anybody care to provide a suitable simile from their own experience?

lusy

#18088 02/09/01 11:54 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
neither obsolete nor incorrect

Yes, I agree with you CapK - I was trying to make a non-judgmental observation that I had believed this to be an Americanism that falls into the class of traditional UK usage that had been left intact whereas in the UK (subject to less isolation for a 100 years of crucial development?) that now is definitely on the verge of being archaic or regional dialect. But it is merely an attractive difference - no slur intended.

#18089 02/09/01 03:13 PM
B
veteran
veteran
B
Bingley, Hyla and Marianne have all pretty much gotten the idea of how the two are used. With not infrequent exceptions, we in the US do not generally use "got" to mean "have". Notwithstanding some pretty obvious usages, like, "I've got music, I've got rhythm", "I've got a loverly bunch of coconuts", "He's got the whole world in His hands", which is the possessive use, or "I've got you under my skin" which is not. On the other hand, if/when we do use "got" for the possessive, it tends to be as an emphatic expression. One would generally say, "I have two apples" rather than "I've got two apples"; but I think we would tend more to "He's got a gun pointed at you!" but "He has a gun stored in the garage." Then there's the fact that the exceptions that come to my mind are from songs; I would agree that "gotten" is unmusical and "have" is a problem for musical purposes.

So to sum up, Americans tend on the whole not to use "got" for "have" as the normal verb of possession. They use "got" as the past tense, or preterite, of "get", but generally use "gotten" as the past participle to form the perfect tense, rather than "got", which is British usage. To the preference for "have" over "got", there are exceptions, notably for emphasis, for euphony. I'm sure there will be more that will occur to you out there.

#18090 02/09/01 05:15 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
More from the U.S., Bingley--

I've gotten a list--implies that I have made a bit of an effort to obtain it.

I've got a list--it's in my possession, no connotations.

I've gotten fond of blueberry pie = I've become fond...

I've got fond of...we don't say this, not ever, never.
==========================================================
looking for a particular book in this house is like looking for ... anybody care to provide a suitable simile from their own experience?

a bit in a bucket. (Hi, Ted.)

#18091 02/09/01 06:42 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
looking for a particular book in this house is like looking for..

.. a plum in a pigpen.

#18092 02/12/01 11:05 AM
P
addict
addict
P
From "Scoop" (1938) by Evelyn Waugh:

"From the moment of her entrance the luncheon party was transformed for Lord Copper; he had gotten a new angle on it."

I think this is the first time I've encountered 'gotten' in a book published in Britain.

#18093 02/12/01 11:41 AM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
>Bill Bryson's Made In America

I'm pretty sure that the book you need is called (here) "Mother Tongue" by Bill Bryson. I re-discovered it recently after a year or so of its absence, when I moved a bookcase and found it down the back. Slippery chap that Bryson, you can never find him when you need him.

In the book he puts forward a quite convincing argument about words like "gotten".

I quote from p164 of the UK Penguin edition:

"It is certainly true that America in general preserved many dozens of words that would otherwise almost certainly have been lost to English. The best noted, perhaps, is gotten which to most Britons is the quaintest of Americanisms. It is now so unused in Britain that many Brtons have to have the distinction between got and gotten explained to them even though they make the same distinction between forgot and forgotten ...."
Imagine that!

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith