Page 1 of 2 1 2
#180456 11/20/08 07:14 AM
Z
Zed Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
Z
From Latin corpus (body). Ultimately from the Indo-European root kwrep- (body, form) that is also the source of corps, corpse, corporation, corset, corsage, and leprechaun.

I love that there is almost always one word in the list that makes me do a double take, like the Sesame Street song "one of these things is not like the others." What on earth is that leprechaun doing in there?

A
stranger
stranger
A
I am surprised to find 'leprechaun' here, though. I had always been told that it is the Gaelic term 'leath-brógán' (half-shod) and that it refers to the way the wee man usually gets caught: you come upon him unawares as he mends his shoe. You catch him before he slips away, and then you can force him to reveal the whereabouts of his crock of gold.

I have found that gold myself.

OK, let me go, I'll tell you where to look. All is revealed here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/brunel/A954759

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
The one-shoe explanation might could be a folk etymology. AHD has leprechaun from an Old Irish word meaning 'small body'.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
'small body'

I like the range of meanings for the reflexes of PIE *leghw- 'light' (link): Latin levis, English leaven, carnival, light, lungs, and Irish 'small'.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Thank you for the scientific info on the rainbow of which I've understood half, but which I have once in a lifetime seen whole from one fading point to the other. (rainbows seem to evaporate at their endings so the little corpus delictum sits not in colors but in greys).
Also this phenomenan of the double rainbow is a visual reality in this, that there often is a parallel, more faint rainbow accompanying the clear one. I've seen both Ireland and Holland often have beautiful rainbows.

Last edited by BranShea; 11/20/08 05:19 PM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
In the second rainbow the colors are in reverse order. I've seen a triple rainbow in Flagstaff, AZ.

A
stranger
stranger
A
Apparently there's another circle of rainbow behind you, but you can't see it. They work it out from refraction angles.

The "little body" explanation is reasonable; a lot of letter-orders get reversed in Irish (bosca is box, srón is nose, the name Ó Hirile is translated to Hillery) so brog could be from the same root as corp-.

However, the -án suffix, if it doesn't denote 'a person with this property' (amadán = fool), usually means something big. Its opposite is -ín meaning small (as in smithereens). Just like Italian: violone = a big viola, violino = a little one.

Ah I get it. The -án denotes the person, the le- denotes the half size. What an amadán, not to see that earlier.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Nice, smile though I'll never understand the finesses of rainbows.
Leprechauns and rings of stones. Never set foot in this ring of stones. I'll always remember the car crash we had after I did so.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I got to within ten feet of the end of the rainbow driving to a Tacoma Rainiers game one time. It was right behind the car in the lane just to the left of me. He was a little ahead of me and the rainbow end was chasing after him. Maybe he was a leprechaun with a pot of gold in his trunk. Then there was the rainbow that ended in the dump outside of Flagstaff that one day. Never found the pot with or without a leprechaun.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted By: Faldage
I got to within ten feet of the end of the rainbow driving to a Tacoma Rainiers game one time. It was right behind the car in the lane just to the left of me. He was a little ahead of me and the rainbow end was chasing after him. Maybe he was a leprechaun with a pot of gold in his trunk.

Was he driving a green compact with European plates?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,317
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 688 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,534
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith