About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Hello to All,

Do you reference a thorough electronic dictionary often? I purchased the Franklin 1490
(http://www.franklin.com/estore/dictionary/MWD-1490/) and have been finding it surprising that a $60 electronic dictionary has less definitions that my Palm Compact used to store. It has no record, and therefore corrects, basic words like 'vibrant' and doesn't contain most of the words I need to look up (chthonian).

Any suggestions for a good electronic dictionary?

I've been looking at other models from other companies, and the ones I really would like (expandable!) cost $600 and up, which I can't do in these times. I considered Kindle, but it's so big and not really quite "there" yet.

The design and size of the 1490 is actually its best feature. Something this size with post-graduate level English definitions and brief etymologies would be FANTASTIC.

Your advice will be considered and respected.
Thank you very much!

Patricia

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
**patricia**
is there some reason you want/need a separate gizmo rather than using the available online resources? (which include, for starters, onelook.com, W3 ($30 per annum subs.), OED online (free access through many library subscriptions)

onelook : chthonian

Last edited by tsuwm; 11/13/08 04:05 PM. Reason: removed the extraneous stuff
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Thank you for responding.
My reasoning for requiring an offline gizmo (I really should have stated this in my original post) is because I often read when I am not near a computer. Previously, I had a dictionary on my Palm, which worked in areas where reception wasn't available. That was fantastic. Eventually, my Palm stopped working and I now have another Smartphone. With my smartphone, it's not that big and I haven't found a good offline dictionary for the amount of space I have, complete with thesaurus and grammar inquiries.

I don't mind another gizmo, I just want one that is worth referencing. This one was billed as a "reference suite" and I find it very, very lacking. I'd like something that I can pack with a book and be internet-independent.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I'd recommend Merriam-Webster's Collegiate. (it's a book) grin

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
We keep a copy of the paperback version of the AHD in our car.

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,316
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 621 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,533
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith