Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
I
ivan Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I
I need to translate a Czech term involving the common noun 'prosba' - the noun form of 'prosit' - to beg. The closest English noun that I can come up with is 'demand', 'request' but these nouns have a drastically different meaning than 'to beg'.

Is there an appropriate (and not too exotic) English noun? If not, how can I get around it? Do I have to use the verb?

By the way, I think that a 'topic of the week' on common terms from other languages that don't have a common English equivalent would be quite interesting.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
beg [n] - an act of begging

"Agenda and minutes and constituents' grievances, and charitable appeals and ordinary begs." - Punch

ron o.

edit: beggary, mendicity, begging, cadging, mooching, panhandling

Last edited by tsuwm; 08/29/08 04:32 PM. Reason: expand-a-post
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Alms, alms for the poor!

People who want money beg, people who give money to the poor give alms.

people who get money (from the state) are on the dole, or on welfare. (UK/US)

some times beggers, are called "charity cases" (especially if they require services (like hospital services) that they just show up for, and make use , when they can't pay for them.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
prosba

Depending on the context: request, entreaty, demand, desire, appeal, plea, pleading, supplication, or prayer. Czech (and other Slavic languages) prosit is cognate with German fragen 'to ask' and Latin precor 'to entreat, pray for, wish for'; the latter is also the origin of English pray via French.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
M
M
I'll throw in imploration, although I don't recall an instance of its being used.

old hand
old hand
alms, a donation, a gift, or charity

I
ivan Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I
I think I may not have been quite clear. I am looking for a noun corresponding to the verb 'to beg', as in 'to beg for mercy' or 'to beg for an alm'. As 'request' is the noun form of 'to request', etc. You can say 'request for exemption' so how do you say '(beg nonun) for mercy'?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I don't think you have paid attention to some answers then; you can say 'his beg for mercy' (or appeal, plea, supplication, entreaty, etc.). seriously.

-ron o.

Last edited by tsuwm; 08/30/08 04:20 PM.
J
stranger
stranger
J
You can use the noun 'plea', which can be taken as "begging with desperation."

You can also turn a noun into a verb by doubling the 'g' and adding the suffix '-ing' and using an article like 'a' or 'the' before the word. But that isn't used much with beg. Previous posts have a variety of noun alternates that will work for you.

M
addict
addict
M
I think we could be more helpful if you could give an example of the sentence you're trying to write with a ______ to fill in.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 442 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith