Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#178633 08/10/08 04:59 PM
zmjezhd Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
The thread up yonder about the deprecated exonym Eskimo for the preferred endonym Inuit sent me searching for other kinds of ethnonyms (or demonyms). I ended up at an article in the German Wikipedia about the terms Ortsneckname (link) which is literally place-nickname (or perhaps topohypocoronym for the pedant completist). It's a kind of humorous nickname for the inhabitants of some place. This made me think of terms like Michigander or Hoosier. And it reminded me of a dictionary I once stumbled upon that opined that all toponyms had their origins in hydronyms.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
zmjezhd #178636 08/11/08 06:43 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
This avalanche of onyms is too Überwhelming. (topohypocoronym~!)
I have for you an Ortsneck pronounciation killing little song:

Heut kommt der Hans nach Haus, freut sich die Lies.
Ob er aber über Oberammergau,
oder aber über Unterammergau,
oder aber überhaupt nicht kommt,
Das ist nicht g'wis.
(to say out loud at high speed)

zmjezhd #178638 08/11/08 08:28 AM
R
stranger
stranger
R
Here in New Zealand the exonym pākehā has been deprecated by many but some who are called pākehā like it. There's a really good description of it here, but the word itself is not used much in Māori any more. The current term used almost exclusively in Māori language TV boradcasts is "tau iwi" defined in this dictionaryas "foreign people, non-Māori, foreigner, immigrant." The phrase definitely carries a less welcoming and inclusive tone than pPākehā. Many non-Māori New Zealanders have been happy to call themselves pākehā, but few if any would like to be called tau iwi. My conversations with fluent and bilingual speakers have confirmed that the shift in usage from pākehā to tau iwi was not done without an awareness of its "go home" subtext, a long way from the formal designation "tangata tiriti", "people of the treaty", those who live here by right of the Treaty of Waitangi. Now, even if you've never lived anywhere else and have no ties with any other country, you are still a "foreigner" in Māori. Instead, the word pākehā is now used in Māori to mean "English" in the phrase "te reo pākehā" - the English language.

robinwalter #178639 08/11/08 08:41 AM
L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
welcome robinwalter thats quite a mouhful of a first post!

robinwalter #178640 08/11/08 08:50 AM
old hand
old hand
 Originally Posted By: robinwalter
the shift in usage from pākehā to tau iwi was not done without an awareness of its "go home" subtext, a long way from the formal designation "tangata tiriti", "people of the treaty", those who live here by right of the Treaty of Waitangi. Now, even if you've never lived anywhere else and have no ties with any other country, you are still a "foreigner" in Māori.

This is the inevitable dilemma faced all round the world in situations where by invasion (like NZ) or peaceful trading migration (like Chinese in various places), an incoming people have grown to rival or outnumber the indigenous population, but not by so much that the incomers have so much power they can do whatever they like and get away with it (as in the case with Native Americans, Aboriginal Australians, etc). It is a huge problem in Fiji, Malaysia and other places with large ethnic Chinese populations, but also with Russians in some former Soviet Republics, various Balkan groups, etc.

The Pook #178642 08/11/08 09:04 AM
R
stranger
stranger
R
 Originally Posted By: The Pook
 Originally Posted By: robinwalter
the shift in usage from pākehā to tau iwi was not done without an awareness of its "go home" subtext, a long way from the formal designation "tangata tiriti", "people of the treaty", those who live here by right of the Treaty of Waitangi. Now, even if you've never lived anywhere else and have no ties with any other country, you are still a "foreigner" in Māori.

This is the inevitable dilemma faced all round the world in situations where by invasion (like NZ) or peaceful trading migration (like Chinese in various places), an incoming people have grown to rival or outnumber the indigenous population, but not by so much that the incomers have so much power they can do whatever they like and get away with it (as in the case with Native Americans, Aboriginal Australians, etc).

The incomers to New Zealand have outnumbered the indigenous people by a large enough margin to "do whatever they like and get away with it". History shows that the dominant non-indigenous population groupcould and did do pretty much what they liked, with only a little less ruthlessness than in Australia. At one stage the Māori population was not much larger as a percentage of the total than is true of Aboriginal Australians, and even now the most generous count has them at between 8-14% of the total, a figure close to being matched by Asians. The real difference is that New Zealand's existence was founded on a document that purported to guarantee certain rights to the indigenous people, and in recent decades those rights have been more vigorously asserted. One way in which those rights are being expressed is in the conscious choice of a more exclusionary term, an "exonym", to replace an older exonym that was beginning to be adopted by some of those it was applied to.

It's also not as much of a problem in Fiji as it used to be with the Indo-fijian population dropping rapidly. It's now down to around 41% of the total, down from high of nearly 51% before the first coup in 1987

robinwalter #178643 08/11/08 09:10 AM
L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
that's some interesting stuff you've posted there robinwalter but I think now's probably a good time to warn you that politics and religion are no-go zones here.

BranShea #178646 08/11/08 12:53 PM
zmjezhd Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Heut kommt der Hans nach Haus ... g'wis

Choice.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
robinwalter #178647 08/11/08 12:57 PM
zmjezhd Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Here in New Zealand the exonym pākehā has been deprecated by many but some who are called pākehā like it.

Yes, some folks like exonyms. A German nickname for citizens of the USA is Ami 'Yank' (< Amerikaner). It is just a wee bit pejorative, but I like it, and when I lived in the Rhineland used it as a self-designation. Sometimes shocked the more sedate and politically correct. The area I lived in had been in the former British occupation zone. Older peole still talked about die Tommies.

Thanks for the link to that interesting article and welcome aboard.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
latishya #178648 08/11/08 01:23 PM
old hand
old hand
 Originally Posted By: latishya
that's some interesting stuff you've posted there robinwalter but I think now's probably a good time to warn you that politics and religion are no-go zones here.

Except where it arises naturally from the discussion of words, as it does here. You can't divorce words from their social context. However, we usually reach a point where the discussion becomes more about politics than words then we stop. We've probably reached that point.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith