About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
 Originally Posted By: LukeJavan8
As a newcomer, who has not participated in l77,000 of your conversations, some of this really is frustrating. You may know what you are talking about, but a newcomer does not. Do you think "hints' for newcomers' could be clarified??

from the "hints" page: How Do I Know If A Subject Has Been Discussed?

first, someone might (reasonably) ask: Why should I care if a subject has been discussed? (1) Some of us have actually read most of those 177,000 conversations and have become (predictably) jaded. (2) Chance would have it that there are some real gems among all of those that you might actually find enjoyable or instructive.

thus, you can use the forum Search function to find whether, for example, a particular word has been discussed here. (I, personally, get much use out of the forum Search function in researching my "rehashed topics" threads [see page 6 of Miscellany for most recent post].)

first, notice that there are two Search links up at the top of the page. The topmost one is the AWAD site search, which you can use to search the entire site, but is not useful for searching within these forums.

it's the second Search down that you want for doing a forum search. Clicking that link opens up the Search form, which looks a bit daunting at first blush, but there are only three(3) fields that you need concern yourself with, 1) verify that you have "All Forums" selected in the left-hand frame 2) enter your "Keyword Terms" in the box at the top of the right-hand frame [this is the word or phrase you're looking for] 3) fill in the "Date Range" [ Newer than 10 Years is a maximum search, and you don't need to furthur narrow this]. Then click the "Submit" button at the bottom of the form.

for example, if I wanted to find the thread(s) where the word "jamfled" was discussed, I'd select All Forums, Search Terms = jamfled, Date Range = Newer than 10 Years. The results looks something like this, with each line being a link to the respective post:

. Re: rehashed topic #4 - jamfled Miscellany tsuwm 08/28/07 11:01 AM
. Re: rehashed topic #4 - jamfled Miscellany Myridon 08/28/07 10:51 AM
. rehashed topic #4 - jamfled Miscellany tsuwm 08/28/07 10:34 AM
. Re: jamfled? Q&A about words zmjezhd 02/23/07 08:45 AM
. Re: jamfled?? Q&A about words BranShea 02/23/07 08:05 AM
. Re: jamfled?? Q&A about words Jackie Administrator 02/23/07 06:31 AM
. Re: jamfled?? Q&A about words BranShea 02/23/07 05:23 AM
. Re: jamfled?? Q&A about words Hydra 02/23/07 04:28 AM
. Re: jamfled?? Q&A about words BranShea 02/23/07 01:27 AM
. jamfled?? Q&A about words tsuwm 02/22/07 08:54 PM

[there are actually only two threads here, identified by the subject lines missing the "Re:" part.]

p.s. - you can actually get back in to the anals [sic] of AWADtalk history using this search. to wit, try searching for the phrase "arrow of time" [quotes required]...

Re: time Q&A about words wsieber 09/19/00 01:01 AM

Last edited by tsuwm; 06/26/08 04:14 PM. Reason: adding example
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
There is a dictionary and word of the day site called,
Your Dictionary . com. It has discussion similar to this site
with banter and repartee. It is not as old as Wordsmith, nor
is it as active. But it is infinitely easier to understand than all the garble on this site. Sorry Jackie, whoever, you are, nothing personal, but all your attempts at making it easier are about to lose me.

----please, draw me a sheep----
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
For instance:
I was looking for the thread of conversatin concerning the
apostrophe, since I cannot seem to find any other word being discussed, including the word of the day. It seems to be gone, where do I go to find it??????

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Is there just a list on ongoing topics being discusssed? I finally found Miscellany, but I needed a word to key in. I don't know what word to key in. I am interested in just getting to read all the previous repartee and maybe participate, but it seems impossible at this site. Sorry for the frustration, but this site is almost impossible.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>Sorry for the frustration

me too. did you even try to use the search as outlined above?

with Search, All Forums , apostrophe, 1 Month
I immediately found this in Information and Announcements -- this very forum.

edit: which you'll also see if you look just down the page upon entering I & A! (click the Index link just below this box now at the bottom of the page as more posts get added.)

Last edited by tsuwm; 07/07/08 06:13 PM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
now, if you're reading a post and want to get back to the 'top' of things, look at the 'top' of the page and click on Forums or Forum List -- that takes you where you might expect.

if you're reading a post and want to get back to the top of that thread, there's a little red blue 'Top' link (to the left, which turns red when you mouse over it) within the post which does that. (that's where you'll see the Forums and Forums List links!)

if you're reading a post and you want to send a PM to that author, click on the author's name (to the left, in the post) and click Send a PM.

Last edited by tsuwm; 07/07/08 06:09 PM.
Jackie Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
hmm; I'll give it a shot. The main page shows the main categories, some of which are:
Information and announcements
Check this forum for latest developments about A.Word.A.Day

Q&A about words
Got questions about words? Post them here. Know the answer to a question? Share it here.

Wordplay and fun
The fun of words and words of fun.

Words and languages in schools
Forum for educators to share their experiences in using AWAD in their classrooms.

Miscellany
Odds and ends. This is the place for everything else. E.g. What is your favorite word? Did you coin a word? Share it here.

Weekly Themes
Topic of the week.

Click (when you're actually on the main page, not here) on any one of these titles (I put them in bold, above) to see the list of threads in them. THREADS are where the conversations take place--where you'll read and make posts.

For example, clicking on "Information and announcements" will show you a list that starts with these threads:

Tips for Newcomers

Updated Tips for Newcomers, 2008

Max's Useful Language Links

The official birthday thread

Useful language links

the apostrophe as discussed today in wordsmith.

Booklovers' playground

To find the recent discussion of the apostrophe after you have clicked on Information and announcements, click on the apostrophe as discussed today in wordsmith. If you (anyone) cannot remember which category or thread you want, try the Search function--I recommend using the most unusual of words: apostrophe, rather than discussion, for ex. BUT: if you are searching for a post (or a thread to put a post in), you must use the Search button that is between "Active Topics" and "FAQ"; NOT the one that's between "What's New and Site Map".

Luke, I'm sending you a PM* of the above. Please, anyone, feel free to contact me, and I in my clumsy way (I don't know all the proper apellations for things) will try to explain.

*To read your PM, look for the little envelope that should be flashing next to "My Stuff" at the top of your page. Then click on My Messages, then the message itself.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
this site is something like the collier brothers apartment..

each forum, each topic, each thread (Millions of them!) is like a pile of paper, (the newest topic is always at the top, but the newest reply at the bottom)

there is a learning curve for this BB, (and others) while many are similar, each BB has its own quirks.

Many are willing to be helpful. (trouble is, we don't yet know your base line--where do we start?)

are you a computer newbie?
(and/or an internet newbie?
Are you computer literate, but new to BB's?
(BB are bulletin boards, which are not chat rooms, or ..)
Do you know/understand how a BB works?
(so maybe you know unix, or CMP, and can run circles round XP --this community, (a BB) is still something new to learn.

And this BB is not a normal one.

most BB's have 'admin's' (demi gods) who are strict, terrorizers.

we have Jackie (who has in her years as an admin here picked up a few tricks, but mostly she does NOTHING (OK, she helps newcomers more than average...)

WE are self organizing, and self monitoring. Our admin is not a demi god, but a butterfly.. (her touch is that gentle)

DO Read (print out) the FAQ--(its only about 4 sheets of paper.)

Do ask for help.

(again print out, read and follow along directions)

DO try to be specific in your questions.

(Personally i couldn't understand what the problem with the apostrophy thread was:
Did you not see it had 'sunk' (as new topics were added)
Did you not understand why it was in I & A?(because our dear admin tends to leave topics where they are.
MOVES (all to common in other BB's are rare on this BB.))

and--this BB has many members, but only 50 or so regular posters (there are many who post infrequently..LURKERS)
and there is a core group (that changes) that post frequently)
(the top poster, wwh, is deceased) and others from the top poster list are rarely seen, (and i keep dropping lower and lower on the list) but we are all here for PLEASURE. and will all do our part to make it a pleasurable experience for you too!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
to: tsuwm:
Thank you. Yes I did try to do what was outlined above. I am not extremely computer literate, and just learning. Hence I chose the "Robin" avatar, as Robin was trying to learn from Batman.I did the "search, all forum, apostrophe, one month" as you said, and found what I was looking for. Navigating around is quite difficult for me, it seems, But I am getting the hang of it. I see the "top" note, and I see now how it works. And to "of troy" my baseline. I should have mentioned some of it, I apologize, taking things for granted is a defect of mine: I am new to computer and Internet, only one year.Yes, I saw 'apostrophe' had "sunk" and I thought eliminated, I thank you all VERY MUCH for your help. I will not be a "lurker" as words fascinate me. I have to travel for about two months, and don't have a laptop, but I WILL BE BACK AND
CONTRIBUTING in a few weeks. It make much more sense to me now and again thank you for your help. Luke

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Great--Knowing your base line, that you are new to computers, we can do a lot to help..

this BB format, (unlike some) allows us to embed images (photo's and "screen shots" --being word nerds, we tend to USE words and language, but sometimes, a single image is worth a 1000 words.

some of us, (like me) have made a profession of training others in computer use--we 'speak" computer nerd, and we speak real english..

a lot of the info in the 'home made help pages' was made to assist users (like you!)

You are going to find a lot of bells and whistles, (all sorts of accent marks, symbols, and other fun stuff is used here.
(and since there are at least 3 different ways to create these special effects, if you want to learn HOW-you're going to get 3 lessons!)

Each method works.. each of us have our process..

and a BB like this has LOTS of ways to operate.

take color.. I work with a black background and a white foreground..(shade of gray color scheme) (but in my stuff, you can go to my preferences and change the default (and there are lots of other defaults you can change.. (and some of these will make some things easier, and some will make some things harder..)

We are glad you delurked.. and look forward to seeing you post, and will slowing ensnare you in our ways.. you'll soon be using different fonts, in different colors and will add symbols like ° (a degree symbol) with out a second thought!

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith