Next Thread
Print Thread
#177877 06/30/08 01:39 PM
D
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
D
In Boonton, NJ, there is a school on a street. The street is appropriately named School Street. The name of the school is School Street School.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Which came first?:)

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
on long island (a place that been 'settled' for 400 years, there are still roads, in towns(or rather were roads in towns) that were nameless--till somewhat recently--

in stony brook (SUNY college town) there is a "yellow blinker road" (it crosses "main road" (ie old coastal road) and presumably got its name from the yellow blinker (a sort of 4 way stop sign) that marks the intersection.--which is a recent development.. (since out side of town, there are no street lights or traffic signals) the main road changes names ever few townships --I think it was actually main street in Stony Brook.. but..

In queens (and in the bronx) there were roads that, while they had 'official names" (used by post office) they were more commonly known by unoffical names

in Little Neck, the back road "the back road" (aka Sand Hill road) was a single lane wide, (at east/little neck parkway end)even though it was a 2 way street.

after about 1000 feet it became 2 lanes wide (i have never before seen the bayshore blvd name--from google map-(or seen a sign of that name.)

sand hill road is through a swamp (wetlands) and some of the houses are were originally slaves homes (slavery was legal in NY till 1830!) and the some of current owners of the houses are decendents of the slaves.

in the bronx, " the back alley was a barely paved road (from one side--Kings bridge/Bainbride Ave (cross street) you could walk down a flight of street stairs.. from the bottom of the hill there was a something like a driveway (coles lane) to Poe place.. )

for most of my childhood, Coles Lane had no street sign, but poe lane, had houses (very small old (colonial) houses fronting on it, did. but no one called it poe lane.. it was the back alley. (there are others, i remember, some have gone (in redevelopment, and others i don't know the zip.. so they are harder to find!)

there is no school lane school.. but place names are funny things.. (FYI, EAPoe did live in that area, (there is the park ) but the house he lived in was on Kingsbridge rd, not in Poe Lane)
Kingsbridge Road continues west, and was the site of a bridge crossing the Harlem river (tidal strait) --original bridge is long gone (as is the KING) but the name lives on!

Z
Zed Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Z
The town of River Hibert in NS is on the bank of River Hibert River.

Zed #177891 07/01/08 11:04 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
And the bank there is called the River Hibert River Bank Bank

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I know of Noon Street and Sunset Boulevard, would there also be
Dawn Lane?

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 435 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith