Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
M
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
M
I have been wondering if anybody else has the habit of running two browser windows while at AWAD. I've found it very useful for catching up when there are several forums with many new posts. This morning for example, I found that Q&A had about 17, and Wordplay had a similar number. By running two browser windows, I was able to catch up on both forums in significantly less time than would otherwise have been the case. I estimate that it probably took around 60% of the time that it would have using one window. This post is, quite simply, a shameless hybrid of public service announcement and self-promotion (only 370 more to reach veteran, yay!)

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear Max: I have found it handy to minimize one window, look at another, and can use edit,copy,edit,paste that way. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by two browsers. I have both Outlook Express and Netscape, but haven't yet thought of way to use both advantageously. wwh

M
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
M
You're on to it, Bill. Two instances of the same browser is what I meant. Running Netscape and IE together simultaneously could be interesting, but, given M$' antipathy to everyone else, I'm not sure that I would recommend it.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I know of no reason why Netscape wouldn't achieve the same time saving results!! I have done the same thing with three IE's, and two separately installed e-mail programs (just for organizing). Send a private note with any problems, please!

M
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
M
I know of no reason why Netscape wouldn't achieve the same time saving results!!

Nor do I. I was simply stating my completely uninformed opinion that Netscape and IE running together might experience problems, caused by M$'s aversion to sharing. Two or more instances of Netscape running together is not a problem, from my own experience when I used to use 4.75. Two e-mail programmes, that is interesting. I used to use OE, but now I only use Pegasus, apart from occasionally tesing certain functions in OE to see how they work.

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear Max: Only reason I have both Outlook Express and Netscape is that I had OE prior to installation of DSL network, installer of which was Netscape enthusiast. I was lazy about learning new system, and had lots of messages and addresses I did not want to dump.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
But...but...how the heck do I get two windows open to the same site??

Please, be very plain-speaking. Every time I have tried
to go to a second AWADtalk access, it simply goes to the
window that I already have open!

M
enthusiast
enthusiast
M
But...but...how the heck do I get two windows open to the same site??

Jackie,

If you're using MS Internet Explorer, the quickest way is to select File > New > Window from the pull-down menu when your first browser is already in AWADtalk.
P.S. Don't be fooled by the fact you only see one window - the other one is behind it - you'll have to move or resize the visible one.

Alternatively, shrink your first IE window so that you can see your desktop and double-click on the IE icon. It should open up a second window that you can then direct to AWADtalk (or any other site for that matter). More time-consuming than the option above.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Whoa, it worked! Just like magic--a second window
just was there, with the same thing on it--and I could change one and not the other. Utterly cool!
Marty, I love you, man. Thank you!!
Maybe I should get around to finishing Windows for
Dummies.

R
R
Jackie,
your other alternative is that, instead of using the mouse to click normally on whatever you want to open, you 'right click' instead and then select 'open in new window' and then it does! It's really useful if you're using a search engine as you can check out all the results to find what you really want, without losing the original list. That way, you can actually have as many windows open as you like, enabling you to keep things open for comparison etc. (At least, that is, until your computer decides to crash 'cause it's running too many programmes!)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,317
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 688 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,534
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith