Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I would like to think that, after thousands of years, that we the human race would have learned better by now, but. It seems that just about every group has set its own standards for what's acceptable and what's not. If I meet a Middle Eastern Muslim, I don't care whether he's a Sunni or a Shiite; a Rwandan--I don't care whether she's a Tutsi or Hutu; and I don't imagine either of them would care whether I am a Methodist, Baptist or a Catholic.
I learned from this board that a particular nickname for someone from Ireland is offensive to them; yet there was nothing, to me, to distinguish it from the other nicknames I've heard. Okie to me is not insulting a person from Oklahoma.
What are we to do?

old hand
old hand
 Originally Posted By: zmjezhd
So was she taking umbrage at the "O word" or did she simply resent the implied criticism of her own language?

I think the former. As I hinted above, in response to olly, it may have been because she was from Arkansas and resented being called the o-word.

Is it possible she misheard your northern pronunciation of Oakie and thought you were saying Arkie? In other words implying that the worst possible thing you could call someone was an Arkie?

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,328
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 844 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,539
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith