Originally Posted By: Hydra

AghghahghghhhhhHHHH!!!!!

What about eidetic?

(what about it I hear you say)

Hydra Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
I like eidetic, but technically, that is the adjective for photographic memory.

But let's not lose heart yet. After all, bad breath has its halitotic, prison its carceral.

Hydra Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
... and yesterday has its hesternal, and summer its aestival.

You wanna know the truth? My experience seems to suggest that if you can't find a word, AWADtalk won't be able to help you. And that's not talking down the board. It's just to make the point that if the word is out there (even if there is here!) Google is your best bet.

Wordsmith Talk, then, is a great place to chat about words, make friends, and sometimes, just sometimes, to be thrown a bone by someone with better Googling skills that you. : )

M
M
Memory is so broad a subject that we need to have an idea what about memory we're after if we are to try to find a suitable adjective, don't we?

If we're not limited to an etymological root, we have more possibilities; for instance, one could consider using unforgettable, or memorable (suggested by Faldage), or possibly another adjective, for one meaning related to memory.

Hydra Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
There's just no adjective for memory; though, if we are going to make one up, I like memoric.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I think mnemonic works, though perhaps it would be a new usage. it certainly hearkens back to the Greek root.

[Mid-18th century. <mnemonics, or < Greek mnēmonikos "relating to memory" < mnēmon- "mindful"]

formerly known as etaoin...
Hydra Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Nabokov uses mnemonic like that, more than once in the 12 novels of his I have read. I think it works pretty well too, with a dash of artistic license. It was just the necessity of that dash that prompted my little query. The man is a millionaire of words.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
well, there you go!

formerly known as etaoin...
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Wow, Hydra, I haven't been able to come up with an adjectival form for memory. And though you did not explicitly ask, I've thought of two for thought: thinking and sentient.

Hydra Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
I don't know if this is right, but to me, thinking is the adjective of thinking the noun not thought the noun. Hence, "A thinking man," but not "thinking flashes" for "flashes of thought." Sentient, to me, is feeling. "A sentient mollusk," for example can't think (?).

But if any one would like to join me, I will be storming Oxford University Press tomorrow at dawn to demand the inclusion of my "memoric" into our lexicon.

Mouthfroth optional.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,318
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 775 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,535
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith