About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
zmjezhd #177019 05/19/08 02:16 AM
old hand
old hand
You a Python fan, zmjezhd? I have a special place in my heart for all Python fans... :0)

zmjezhd #177021 05/19/08 03:30 AM
M
M
I don't know the details of Buckley's yacht, but virgins—or maidens, at least—have long been popular as figureheads. And the most prized reefer buds (so I've heard) have not been pollenated. I won't posit that Buckley was implying reference to either, though.

Since the psalmists left the arena, I've doused my conjectural remarks about what may happen in the smoke of a burning bush. I don't think that I could pass Moses off as a psalmist anyway.

M
M
Maybe I should now clear private data and erase free space.

old hand
old hand
To indulge in some cross-threading, this is a rather canardous disucssion... \:\)

zmjezhd #177032 05/19/08 10:15 AM
I
idjit Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I
I agree <<Parthenogenesis does not mean 'to materialize out of thin air'.>> But I was going by my poor memory and interpretation of what I'd read in a newspaper article all those years ago. I did say whatever word he used "meant something like..." I almost said something like osmosis but I knew that was way off. Using the definition of parthenogenesis as the 'development of an egg without fertilization' is of course stretching it, but to me it was simply quintessential Buckley.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
You a Python fan

Yes, since first being exposed to them in the early '70s.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
zmjezhd #177046 05/19/08 04:25 PM
M
addict
addict
M
I've also heard Parthenogenesis associated with the "birth" of Athena (Athena Parthenos) who sprang fully grown (and clothed and armed) from the forehead of her father Zeus (after he had swallowed her mother, Metis). There was a mother involved but it seems rather like appearing from thin air.

C
stranger
stranger
C
I took Latin all through high school, and through the first couple of years of my undergrad degree in Classical Archaeology, and there was always some serious discussion on how this "c" should be pronounced. Our professors were primarily UK-trained, and used the hard "k" sound when pronouncing Cicero.

Just around 1968-70 we had an influx of American post Doc students, who were used to using a soft "ss" sound when pronoucing Cicero.

This caused consternation in the senior levels of the faculty, and so they instituted an active Latin Conversation Club, for grad students, undergrad Latin students and all faculty, particularly those post-docs who were in tenure-track positions.

Fundamentally, the grad students thought that if anyone hoped to get tenure, they would have to be seen to be participating in this Latin Conversation Club, and using the "proper" pronuciation. A sort of opportunity to "retrain" so that this "ss" sound was not in their spoken vocabulary.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Most academics (in classical philology) use the reconstructed (or classical) pronunciation, which is based on research done in the second half of the 19th century by linguists. The word cicerone is from the Italian, and it used to be pronounced /tʃitʃɛro:ne/, but is now usually pronounced /sisɛron/ according to the dictionaries which I consulted. (There are some who believe that Latin was pronounced as is modern Italian, as there are more than a few who believe that Classical Greek was pronounced as Modern Greek is, but I do not find their arguments convincing.)

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
this discussion of the orthoepy of cicerone seems to have appeared in this thread through some sort of parthenogenic process.

-ron o.

(or was it onanistic?)

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,328
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 703 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,539
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith