K
kassack Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
K
Hello!

I'm from far Russia...
I'm working in Maritime Industry business...

The problem is the following - i'm trying to generate
a wordform - type of my profession. i'm not a sailor or mariner but i still relating to sea.

I've got an idea - to call the profession of a man relating to maritime industry as "MARITIMER"

1.Whot do you think about it? I'm going in right direction or not?
What are your feelings when you will:
2.Hear this word
3.Spelling it
4.Reading it

Thank very much you for your help!

PS:Please excuse my terrific english

old hand
old hand
 Originally Posted By: kassack
Hello!

And Здравствуйте! to you too. \:\)

I'm from far Russia...
I'm working in Maritime Industry business...

And I'm about as far from Russia as you can get...

The problem is the following - i'm trying to generate a wordform - type of my profession. i'm not a sailor or mariner but i [am] still relating to [the] sea.
I've got an idea - to call the profession of a man relating to maritime industry as "MARITIMER"
1.Whot do you think about it? I'm going in right direction or not?
What are your feelings when you will:
2.Hear this word
3.Spelling it
4.Reading it

It's not a normal way of describing what you do in English, but a native English speaker would perhaps understand what you meant, depending on its context in a sentence. Some would probably recognise it for what it is - a word you have coined yourself to describe your profession because no other word describes it as succinctly. Though perhaps we might still assume you mean mariner.

The nearest term would perhaps be 'maritime worker' but if you tell us what you do more precisely we may be able to suggest other more specific words. There are lots of jobs associated with the shipping industry - stevedore, shipping clerk, etc.

PS:Please excuse my terrific english

Your 'terrific' English is better than my non-existent Russian!
Although... either you were using irony or sarcasm, or you meant to use the word 'terrible' I think? Terrific in older English used to mean causing terror or horrible, but now it means almost the opposite - when you call something 'terrific' it means it is exceptional, great, fortunate or good.

Last edited by The Pook; 04/22/08 07:55 AM.
K
kassack Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
K
Thank you very much for your explonation.

I really mean the word "terrible english" in priveous post \:\)

Originally Posted By: The Pook
The nearest term would perhaps be 'maritime worker' but if you tell us what you do more precisely we may be able to suggest other more specific words. There are lots of jobs associated with the shipping industry - stevedore, shipping clerk, etc.

I am expert at "International Safety Managemet CODE" - ISM auditor - it is hardly sometimes to explain what it is for person who is far away from maritime industry even in two words.

so i was looking for common word (surveyors+mariners+stevedores and etc." -
May be "Maritime worker" - is what i looking for, but i need one word \:\)
Can you suggest one? Of course if it is possible...Maybe non-existing...

PS:The problem is also that there is no single word for "maritime workers" in russian too. \:\) I thought may be english speaking peoples have...

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Maritimer might also mean someone from the Maritime Provinces of Canada, i.e., Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, and Prince Edward Island.

K
kassack Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
K
to Faldage:Thank you for help

It's better to concretize...

For example if i'm going to make journal,newspaper about maritime industry in english language and i'll call it "Maritimer" - in that way i'm on the right course? The journal is for sireous people.

old hand
old hand
Welcome, Kassak! I Googled some of the terms you used, and I have some idea of what you do. Please correct me if I'm wrong! Do you board ships and vessels and inspect their equipment for compliance with safety standards? If so, I understood correctly. This profession is not well known in the US, but I'm quite sure there are many people involved in it. I would call it "maritime safety inspector". Let me know how I did! :0)

K
kassack Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
K
to twosleepy:You are right! You did it! \:\) I hope this knowledge will not be useless for you...There is only about 5000-8000 peoples in the whole world witch such profession that is why it's not popular.

Perhaps i maid a misunderstanding due to lack of practice in english.

My task is to combine all maritime profession in common - in ONE word (simple), - for me as russian the word "MARITIMER" sounds perfect - it is not a mariner,but new sort of people which job is connected with sea.
But i need a word which english speaking people will also find understandable.

PS:I understand "wordsmith" is a creation of new words? Am I right?
PSS:I hope nobody bored during reading and discussion of this theme? \:\)

M
addict
addict
M
I may be alone in this, but when I saw the title of the post, I hadn't the slightest clue what it might be about - maritime did not come to mind on seeing MARITIMER by itself, though it may be that just the capitals throw me off.

Unless the context was very clear and not being in the industry, I would think maritimer and mariner and sailor were all equivalent.

Also, as Faldage says, residents of the Maritime Provinces of Canada are called Maritimers - it's even made it into a dictionary
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Maritimer

On the other hand, for a publication that is specific to the industry (Maritimer: A Journal for the Maritime Industry), it might (or might not) be a very clever title as they would have a different understanding of the word than the general populous. But they might assume you're also making a joke with "time" - Maritime Times, Maritime Weekly, The Mari"timer" - if you can see that.

old hand
old hand
PS:I understand "wordsmith" is a creation of new words? Am I right?

'Wordsmith' is a word coined from 'blacksmith.' The verb 'to smith' means to form or forge metal. This is perhaps confusing, since a blacksmith doesn't smith blacks but is called that presumably because he is always covered in black soot, whereas a wordsmith does forge words. But the one consistency of English is that it is inconsistent!

PSS:I hope nobody bored during reading and discussion of this theme? \:\)

If they were there wouldn't be any answers here. No, it is interesting. But then we are strange people....

old hand
old hand
 Originally Posted By: The Pook
'Wordsmith' is a word coined from 'blacksmith.' The verb 'to smith' means to form or forge metal. This is perhaps confusing, since a blacksmith doesn't smith blacks but is called that presumably because he is always covered in black soot, whereas a wordsmith does forge words. But the one consistency of English is that it is inconsistent!

Gotta bust ya on this one, Pook! We were just at Colonial Willimasburg in Virginia, and my sons were fascinated watching the blacksmith make nails. I specifically mentioned that I always thought the term "blacksmith" came from them being covered in soot, and he told me that, in fact, it did not. The term arises from the metal used (usually iron), which turns black during the heating process through oxidization. The term "smith" comes from "smite", as they hit the metal to shape it. This is in contrast to the foundry, where metal is poured, never beaten. :0)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith