Jackie Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
A friend sent me a link that included this word. Here is
what Atomica (yes, wow, it is a "blast") has about it:

es·par·to (ĭ-spär'tô)
n., pl. es·par·tos.
A tough, wiry grass (Stipa tenacissima) of northern Africa, yielding a fiber used in making paper and as cordage.
=========================================================

My question is for you students of Latin out there:
am I right in thinking tenacissima means tenacious?
Because it's so tough? (The fibers are used for making
paper--that's what the link was about.)

#17535 01/29/01 08:43 AM
E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
-issimo means "very", so
tenacissima = very tenace

Emanuela

addict
addict
The word "esparto" used in English always reminds me of an essay I wrote once comparing three different English translations of Federico García Lorca's Bodas de sangre (translated as Blood Wedding). In this wonderful dark story of love and fate, the Bride lives on a barren, desolate plain, where esparto (Spanish "esparto", used as a tough fiber for weaving) is the only crop that can be grown. Faced with a potential cultural gap, the different translators approached it in very different ways.

One of them used (English) "esparto", braving a possible lack of familiarity on the part of the English-language readers. Another one changed the reference over to (English) "alfalfa", though this translation overlooked the connotations of aridity for the Bride's lands, and the Bride's existence. But the third one translated "esparto" as "hemp"! There are apparently two different forms of hemp, one which yields a tough fiber, and another one which is used to produce the opiate marijuana. I am certain the translator had the first one in mind when producing his/her version, but depending on which form is more familiar to the reader, the image of the Bride's plentiful hemp harvest certainly transforms the story!

#17537 01/29/01 12:19 PM
A
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
A
"In this wonderful dark story of love and fate, the Bride lives on a barren, desolate plain, where esparto (Spanish "esparto", used as a tough fiber for weaving) is the only crop that can be grown. Faced with a potential cultural gap, the different translators approached it in very different ways."

From the description it is certainly possible that "hemp" was the plant grown. Besides being a source of fiber, it is known to be a tough plant that can grow in many places where other plants would wither.

Sorry for the quibble, but marijuana is not an opiate per se. Opiates are those chemicals related to opium, which comes from the opium poppy, _Papaver somniferum_. Codeine, morphine and heroin are opiates, for example. Read more about it at

http://www.arf.org/isd/pim/opiates.html

http://www.heroin.org/poppy.html

old hand
old hand
..different translators ..
Quite a revealing story indeed! I'm very much in favor of the first translator. The sound of "Esparto" itself reflects the the asketic toughness of the crop.
I am currently reading "The corrosion of character" by Richard Sennett. The title of the German translation is "Der flexible Mensch" (The flexible human). That's toning it down by several stops!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
wsieber adds: The sound of "Esparto" itself reflects the asketic toughness of the crop.

A short note in the Foreword could educate the reader as to the nature of esparto. It seems the best soultion.

W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
A short note in the Foreword

... or a sub-heading under the heading Chapter One ... as there are people (I have heard but never met one) who do not read forewords. (Heavens to Betsy!)
And WHERE did that expression come from?
wow

#17541 01/29/01 07:54 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
And WHERE did that expression come from?

I for one would certainly like to know!

#17542 01/29/01 07:58 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
As one who has "committed" plenty of translations in the past, I think I would leave esparto in the original, with a footnote the first time it occurs.

#17543 01/30/01 06:12 AM
E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
I remember my Italian translation of " The catcher in the rye".
There was a whole page - a letter from the translator - to explain WHY he had to translate the title as
Il giovane Holden = Young Holden.
Ciao
Emanuela

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,328
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 763 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,539
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith