Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
old hand
old hand
Wait a minute!!! I seem to have completely missed the point... help! I thought the whole point is to make up a "daffynition", and then vote for the best one. Is that incorrect? Are we trying to guess at the real definition? I didn't think there was much point in that, as has been pointed out, it's too easy to just check it... Am I crazy? :0)

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
There will be n+1 defintions offered eventually, N of them will be from various of us who sent them to Jackie and one will be from some dictionary or other. Points, such as they are, are awarded to the perpetrators of the phony definitions, one point for each vote they get and points are awarded to voters who get the correct definition. Generally anyone is allowed to vote whether or not they have submitted a definition. In some incarnations of the game votes of those who have contributed a definition count more than votes of those who have not, but that is up to the hogmaster of that particular game. A vote for one's own definition is not counted toward the score.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
time out. you may think there are conflicting messages here, considering Faldo's explication vs. Rule A, as given above.

let's see if I can clear this up somewhat: let's say that in a given round Faldo's bluff collects the most votes, and that in addition two other voters choose the correct definition. Faldo would usually be considered the "winner" of the round, and the those other two would probably be awarded a lovely set of kudos. if the latter award is worth "cheating" to you, it's your award and you're welcome to it.

ultimately it's your game too, if you want to play it straight and it gives you pleasure to suss the actual def'n, that's fine. if you prefer to vote for what you feel is the "best effort", that may arguably be a "better" way to play the game, but it is assuredly a different approach. I think this is actually why we arrived at Rule A.

from the aspect of the hogmaster (read moderator), the most important thing is probably the choice of the word. it should be really obscure, of course; but etymologically it should be blank. if you glance at the list so far you can see how well we've done in that regard.

edit: this would appear to be round 89.

Last edited by tsuwm; 03/24/08 04:20 AM.
old hand
old hand
 Originally Posted By: twosleepy
Wait a minute!!! I seem to have completely missed the point... help! I thought the whole point is to make up a "daffynition", and then vote for the best one. Is that incorrect? Are we trying to guess at the real definition? I didn't think there was much point in that, as has been pointed out, it's too easy to just check it... Am I crazy? :0)

Perhaps "daffynition" given the context in which it was used, meant not the 'normal' fake definitions, but one that was intended to be deliberately funny but obviously not the correct definition, put in by someone who happens to know the real meaning and who doesn't want to cheat by taking advantage of that. In RL games there is always at least one of those put in anyway. My youngest brother always puts in something stupid that makes everyone rofl literally.

There are two ways to gain points - guess the real definition or have others guess your fake one as the real one. For the person submitting the word they gain points if no one votes for the real definition. Or something like that.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
just remember that the points don't matter.

formerly known as etaoin...
Jackie Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Thanks, guys; I was busy (and then exhausted) all weekend. If anybody has any further questions, holler.

It IS just for fun, and yes, it's on the honor system. I can't say for other hogmasters/mistresses, but if somebody submits the real definition (whether they looked it up or knew the word or just had a lucky guess), I simply wouldn't list it for voting. Though I'd probably send a PM inviting another submission.

We started off trying to keep score, but that went by the wayside for a variety of reasons. So, sometimes people who know the word submit as good a fake def. as they can come up with; and likewise (as can anyone) sometimes simply vote for the (fake) definition they like the best.

tsuwm, I still haven't forgotten your one, lone vote preventing me from getting a...whaddyacallit? blankout...blackout...oh, SHUTout, confound your little hide! ;-) (For newcomers, what I'm saying is that on one game I ran, nobody but tsuwm voted for the real def.) Anyway, thanks for the reminder: I had completely forgotten about trying for untraceable etymology!

Jackie #175053 03/24/08 10:44 PM
old hand
old hand
 Originally Posted By: Jackie
untraceable etymology!

...is an oxymoron??

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
 Originally Posted By: The Pook
 Originally Posted By: Jackie
untraceable etymology!

...is an oxymoron??

Depends on your definition of etymology, I guess. Do you believe the falling tree makes a sound if no one's there to hear it?

old hand
old hand
oxymoron: a laundry-challenged individual who believes the t.v. commercials about additives that will remove every possible stain on clothing, and continues to buy and use those products despite the fact that they do absolutely nothing, but is afraid to stop in case maybe they are doing something.

Like that? ;0)

old hand
old hand
 Originally Posted By: Faldage
Depends on your definition of etymology, I guess. Do you believe the falling tree makes a sound if no one's there to hear it?

(This is truly my belief - not trying to be funny!) Depends on your definition of sound. If you define sound as the waves of particles created when something moves, then yes, the sound is there. But if you define sound as the interpretation of those waves by something designed to do so (a brain, by way of the ears), then no, there is no sound. I subscribe to the latter, but many scientists and others prefer the former. It's up to you! :0)

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,322
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 501 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,535
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith