Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
AnnaStrophic #174665 03/13/08 04:15 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
 Originally Posted By: AnnaStrophic
 Originally Posted By: BranShea

Or is just my Old-Betsy Computer going down?

ahem.

this has nothing to do with the University of Kentucky.

formerly known as etaoin...
AnnaStrophic #174672 03/13/08 05:19 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
 Originally Posted By: AnnaStrophic
ahem.

Ah, English names, sorry. Wasn't aware of the Betsy-Elisabeth connection. We call all our long time faithful material 'Old Betsy'- (cars, blenders, computers , bikes).

(doesn't make it sound any better I suppose)
Sorry, can't change the habit, but will not mention it any more.

Hmm... Yours, nice new avatar? \:\)

Last edited by BranShea; 03/13/08 10:41 PM.
BranShea #174675 03/13/08 07:26 PM
addict
addict
 Originally Posted By: etaoin
 Originally Posted By: Hydra
I thought you were ranting against those who expect to discover that for every thing there's a single word and who believe that somehow the word is always superior to the description; when in fact (as you now make clear) you are ranting against a tendency not to accept a nominal phrase instead of a single word—something quite different, and something I have not actually noticed. Perhaps I am not very observant.

and I'm not seeing a difference between those two. isn't the tendency not to accept the phrase what drives the need for a single word?

I'm referring to the difference between a nominal and descriptive phrase.

Take outgroup homogeneity bias. Clearly, it is a phrase. It is nominal because it can be found in reference works. A descriptive phrase would be its definition: "a tendency for individuals to see members of their own group as being relatively more varied than members of other groups."

There are better examples.

You know, I'm still a little astonished by this thread. Is zmjezhd, with the bootlicking approval of tsuwm, really surprised that people come to a forum called Wordsmith, ancillary to an A-Word-A-Day email service, and want to ask about words? Not simply advocating that we enlarge the scope of discussion to include other areas of language, mind you, but actually "ranting" against people for using the board for the very purpose it was designed for.

I think some of the old timers are getting disgruntled.

Hydra #174679 03/13/08 08:20 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Woohah! Have you ever seen more helpful people than them? Did you read their posts?

Hydra #174686 03/13/08 08:42 PM
old hand
old hand

As a newcomer I'd have to say that most of you crusty old posters seem perfectly gruntled to me! \:D

Hydra #174689 03/13/08 08:59 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
 Originally Posted By: etaoin
I thought you were ranting against those who expect to discover that for every thing there's a single word and who believe that somehow the word is always superior to the description; when in fact (as you now make clear) you are ranting against a tendency not to accept a nominal phrase instead of a single word—something quite different, and something I have not actually noticed. Perhaps I am not very observant.

and I'm not seeing a difference between those two. isn't the tendency not to accept the phrase what drives the need for a single word?

I'm referring to the difference between a nominal and descriptive phrase.

Take outgroup homogeneity bias. Clearly, it is a phrase. It is nominal because it can be found in reference works. A descriptive phrase would be its definition: "a tendency for individuals to see members of their own group as being relatively more varied than members of other groups."

There are better examples.

You know, I'm still a little astonished by this thread. Is zmjezhd, with the bootlicking approval of tsuwm, really surprised that people come to a forum called Wordsmith, ancillary to an A-Word-A-Day email service, and want to ask about words? Not simply advocating that we enlarge the scope of discussion to include other areas of language, mind you, but actually "ranting" against people for using the board for the very purpose it was designed for.

what an absolute oyster carnival!

-ron obvious

The Pook #174690 03/13/08 09:05 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
crusty old posters AHEM, sir! I shall presume that I am excused from this description because I still refuse to be a "poster"! ;\)

Heavens to Betsy, Anna--you didn't take offense at that reference, did you?

Speaking of offense, Hydra; confess I'm a bit surprised at your vehemence. It seems to me that it started right after zmjezhd posted It's just a curious trend I'd noticed that folks are usually grailling after the single lexeme for a concept when two or more may be necessary or preferable, which I took simply to be a comment. Not any kind of moral stance, and certainly not a complaint. Merely an observation, and subjectively stated at that. (zmjezhd, correct me if I'm wrong, please.)

Jackie #174708 03/14/08 05:03 AM
addict
addict
 Quote:
Speaking of offense, Hydra; confess I'm a bit surprised at your vehemence.

I proceeded in the spirit of the statement, to which zmjezhd cautiously agreed, that robust, energetic debate is healthy. Honest to God I didn't intend to sound "vehement". My bad. I apologize.

Quote:
what an absolute oyster carnival!

Classic tsuwm. Too clever to be clear.

Quote:
Have you ever seen more helpful people than them?

No. You are right. Nor have I met anyone who knows more about words and language than these two. But this point is beside the point; it is, in fact, an ignoratio elenchi.

I assume zmjezhd started this thread, not to simply to announce an opinion (that is what blogs are for), but to start a discussion. I have contributed more than anyone else to the discussion, and I am still trying to figure out what zmjezhd is really saying.

Back on topic, zmjezhd, which of these, in plain English, is your contention:

A) People often seek a single word when sometimes a nominal phrase is necessary. For example, there is no single word for post-traumatic stress disorder.

B) People often seek words for things instead of just describing them. This is annoying (insert alternative adjective if necessary).

C) Other. (Please explain).

Hydra #174714 03/14/08 10:11 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I ain't zhjmejhdjjjd, but

Quote:
which of these, in plain English(what's that?), is your contention

yes.

and

D) they get intense about it.

\:D

formerly known as etaoin...
Jackie #174716 03/14/08 12:51 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
 Originally Posted By: Jackie

Heavens to Betsy, Anna--you didn't take offense at that reference, did you?

Heh. No more than you would to an incorrect reference to UK.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 442 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith