Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#173845 02/21/08 06:17 PM
Jackie Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Is weald really a single-syllable word, or is it just my Southern accent making me incapable of saying it in one?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Can you say bean in one? Or wealth? Or wield?

Today's word "echt" by the way is the most real "echt" genuinely Dutch word possible and that one you would sure not be able to pronounce.
It's a common word and one the checking-words to make sure if one is 'real'(echt) German or 'real' (echt) Dutch.
The ch sound was, during the German occupation, THE test to know if someone might be a German infiltrator (f.i. in the resistance movement).
The top word for this purpose was Scheveningen or
Schiermonnikoog.

L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
Originally Posted By: BranShea

The ch sound was, during the German occupation, THE test to know if someone might be a German infiltrator (f.i. in the resistance movement).
The top word for this purpose was Scheveningen

Thanks to becoming very good friends with someone from Scheveningen, who told me about his town's usefulness in the war during which he was a child, I managed to master that delightful sound. It took a lot of patient correction from my friend though.

Jackie Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Can you say bean in one? Yep--silent a. Or wealth? Yep--silent a. Or wield? Nope--I have to pronounce both wield and weald as wee-uld. However, if weald has a short e sound, I can say weld as one syllable. [shrug]

addict
addict
All that and did not know who was 'les Boches'?

ÅΓª╥┐↕§
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
> 'les boches' = lethologica-amnesia. Now it's back.

> Jackie, your LD problem gave me a new bizarre one syllable word. Weld (and what the vache is mignonette?)

Weld:
1. European mignonette cultivated as a source of yellow dye; naturalized in North America.
2. United States abolitionist (1803-1895).
3. A metal joint formed by softening with heat and fusing or hammering together.

>I managed to master that delightful sound. It took a lot of patient correction from my friend though.
Then Latishya you are ready for infiltrator duties in the Lowlands.

It's a sweet smelling flowering annual.

Last edited by Maven; 02/21/08 10:23 PM.

tempus edax rerum
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted By: latishya
Originally Posted By: BranShea

The top word for this purpose was Scheveningen

Thanks to becoming very good friends with someone from Scheveningen, who told me about his town's usefulness in the war during which he was a child, I managed to master that delightful sound. It took a lot of patient correction from my friend though.

Scheveningen is most famous as the traditional home of the Old Holland brand of oil paints. Though no longer made at the historical factory there, there are several new lines of synthetic pigments named after it. I use their Scheveningen Rood Licht (Light Red) in my paintings.

Last edited by The Pook; 02/22/08 01:03 AM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Scheveningen

One of the funnier scenes in Verhoeven's Soldaat van Oranje (Soldier of Orange) is when some young Dutch guys challenge a suspected German (who is also Dutch) with this famous shibboleth, and proceed not to be able to pronounce it properly also. I was able (after many tiny glasses of schnapps to pronounce the Danish version, rødgrød med flød /'ʁøðgʁøːˀð mɛð 'fløːðɛ/ (red (fruit) compote with cream) to my relatives' hilarity and mirth. (It demonstrates the Danish phonological phenomenon stød, also.)

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
Originally Posted By: zmjezhd
rødgrød med flød

Sounds like fun. It also makes me think of this gem from youtube.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 674 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith