Page 1 of 2 1 2
#17334 01/27/01 10:23 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Someone recently mentioned having been 'punished' in grammar school by being forced to photocopy pages from a dictionary, saying that they received additional reprimands for pausing to *read* the pages they copied, and it reminded me of my love, as a child, for thumbing through a dictionary for pleasure (and no, i wasn't just looking up the naughty words).

i'm wondering if this was something that many of us have in common? has the love of words been a lifelong passion for all of us?

i remember my favorite word as a very young child being "tergiversate", and i used it every chance i could. i've never heard it used, nor seen it in print, so i'm curious... has anyone else ever encountered this word? anyone use it? it means 'to make use of subterfuge; to be shifty or vacillating'

i've always wondered if i even use it in the right context; i think of it now most often when my children try to wrangle their way out of a sticky situation.

bridget=)

Ipsa scientia potestas est ~Bacon

#17335 01/27/01 10:57 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
hey, bridget

To this day, when I look up a word, I get lost in the dictionary and have to concentrate to remember what it was I was looking up.

By the way, we used to have a poster here named Tergiversator. It was the first time I'd ever seen the word.

#17336 01/27/01 11:23 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear Ste. Bridget: I've seen tergiversation a few times, mostly when someone proud of their vocabulary was really trying to sock it to someone whose talents they did not admire, and wanted to put down for equivocating.(And wanted to humiliate them by making them look it up.)

#17337 01/28/01 12:55 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
I too have spent many pleasant hours looking up one word! There always seems to be another word that comes to mind, or an interesting one at the top of the page, or etc...

I and my brothers also spent a lot of time as children leafing through the encyclopedia. I have been a trivia buff ever since.

I've seen tergiversation several times in novels, but I don't think I have ever heard it used in conversation. I may have to introduce it purposely-- it has such a nice rhythm to it.

#17338 01/28/01 02:09 AM
S
S
Yes, I too am guilty of leafing through the dictionary intent on finding one definition and going far abook in my search. I'm sure I'm not the only one here to get so distracted that I forget the word I came to look up in the first place.

My other vice of referentia is "reading" the Atlas. Mine's an oversize National Geographic that I usually peruse in bed (much to my wife's amusement, God bless her!).

#17339 01/28/01 02:30 AM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Reading the dictionary has always been a joy to me. As I read the posts I put my hand out and it landed on (Surprise!) "The New York Times Everyday Reader's Dictionary of Misunderstood, Misused, Mispronounced Words."
Opened at random and landed on CELATURE (sel'achoore) : the process of embossing metal.
Made one more try for a word I might actually have a use for sometime and up came
HOMOGRAPH meaning a word spelt but not necessarily sounded in the same way as another, and with a different meaning, as tear to rip, and tear to fill with tears, to cry.
Now that's a word I could perhaps find a use for!
wow

#17340 01/28/01 03:30 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
since I seem to be quoting some of my favorite writers today, herewith is another:

>>"The court's decision in favor of Count Wintergrin," said Himmelfarb, imitating the tired, tiresome archness of Razzia and his euphuistic style, "is a tergiversation for the German people." << Buckley, Stained Glass, p. 68.

#17341 01/28/01 09:51 AM
J
J
I remember reading dictionaries as a kid, the different letters were like chapters in a novel and I remember having my favorites: H, Y and Z.
Our Spanish version “tergiversar/tergiversación” is a very common word even in informal conversation. It appears at most angry discussions, in those situations is very common that your opponent tries using your own words against you, at this point we always reply: “¡Estás tergiversando lo que he dicho!/You’re tergiversating what I’ve said!”.
I don’t know if this is a case of false friends but, before reading this thread, I wouldn’t have doubted using this word in English.
So, what is the correct word to use when someone is making subtle changes on your words or in its intonation in order to change the purported meaning of them?.

#17342 01/28/01 10:54 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Juanmaria asked: So, what is the correct word to use when someone is making subtle changes on your words or in its intonation in order to change the purported meaning of them?

I'd probably say again, as I have in the past, "Stop twisting the meaning of what I'm saying to suit yourself!"

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#17343 01/28/01 01:45 PM
E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
I am loosing myself now in the net, as before in the enciclopedias...
We use tergiversare too, but with a different meaning: we mean to to avoid a problem, trying to take time .
Ciao
Emanuela

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 435 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith