Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#173001 01/30/08 12:22 PM
A
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
A
Is there a word for that quality which a word or phrase may have that marks it to our ears as a proper noun? Depending on your frame of reference certain words are obviously names, such as David or James, and other names are understood to have non-proper homophones, such as Bob or Sally. Other names, depending on your cultural background, at first seem not to be names, such as many Native American names, but one acquires a familiary with them so that, for example, Sitting Bull or Dances With Wolves immediately sound like a proper names rather than descriptions of a reclining male of the subfamily Bovinae or a lupine cotillion.

So, is there a name for the characteristic itself, that ring of nomenclature?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Quote:
Is there a word for that quality which a word or phrase may have that marks it to our ears as a proper noun?

Just because I would like to understand the question better:
How could a phrase be marked to our ears as a proper noun? (A phrase containing nouns only, does it exist?)

A
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
A
Originally Posted By: BranShea
Quote:
Is there a word for that quality which a word or phrase may have that marks it to our ears as a proper noun?

Just because I would like to understand the question better:
How could a phrase be marked to our ears as a proper noun? (A phrase containing nouns only, does it exist?)

How could a phrase be marked to our ears as a proper noun? "Dances With Wolves" is a phrase. It is a name of a (fictional) person. The first time I heard the phrase, it did not strike me as a name at all, but rather something else. I grew accustomed to the sound of it, and when I hear the prhase now I do not experience the same lack of understanding. It sounds like a name. How it happened is I guess simply a process of acclimation.

A phrase containing nouns only, does it exist? I make no such assertion, so I will decline to answer. But a phrase may serve as a proper noun (i.e. a name) per my examples above.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
> I make no such assertion, so I will decline to answer.<

You just did. Now I understand the question. Thank you.
Just like Mark (proper noun) and mark (noun)and mark (verb).

Last edited by BranShea; 01/30/08 02:19 PM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
not to be ron (or flip) about it, but I suggest 'nouniness', of which OED3 suggests "Also (Linguistics): the state or condition of being noun-like.", and cites as follows:

1978 Language 54 356 There are still further distinctions to be made among English nominal constructions with regard to their degree of ‘nouniness’.

so, Proper Nouniness

-ron o.

A
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
A
Nouniness. God, that's awful. Now I'm sorry I asked.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
lupine cotillion Ha!

Well--though less accurate than tsuwm's find, I offer recognition as a key. Not always recognition of the name itself; often we go by context. (And sometimes we literally have no clue.)

I decided to try looking up definitions, and this one seems to offer a hint:

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
proper noun
–noun Grammar. a noun that is not normally preceded by an article or other limiting modifier, as any or some, and that is arbitrarily used to denote a particular person, place, or thing without regard to any descriptive meaning the word or phrase may have, as Lincoln, Beth, Pittsburgh.

Also called proper name.

link

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: Alex Williams
Nouniness. God, that's awful. Now I'm sorry I asked.

Oh, why be sorry? Nouniness sound like a lovely word to my ear.
A toddler's lulleby:
'Ninna nanna nouniness, I'll give you lovely words to guess'...

ninna nanna

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
>>>ninna nanna nouniness...

Hey, that's cute - and it would work at making a kiddy remember nouns because of the sing-song.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
you guys can make fun of nouniness for being banal, or childish; but I find it refreshing that linguists can occasionally come up with a functional word and not get all pedantic and unapproachable.

I suppose that for some the word might smack too much of truthiness (which, by the way, dates back almost 200 years and was *not really coined by Stephen Colbert).

-joe (uncreditworthiness) friday

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith