Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Aye, but only the ones that are attached to a pride. The loners, or groups of males follow a different feeding etiquette.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Regardless of who makes a kill, the dominant male will have first choice of a meal.
Eco Travel Africa

T
veteran
veteran
T

Regardless of who makes a kill, the dominant male will have first choice of a meal.

And for this the world is a much better place for all of us.

_______________________________________________Peace. ()

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: themilum

Regardless of who makes a kill, the dominant meal will be the first m ale .

And for this the world is a much better place for all of us.

_______________________________________________Peace. ()

Peace.

D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D
Ben, Bran: We also say "the beter part of"

dalehileman
M
addict
addict
M
Originally Posted By: Jackie
... the dominant male will have first choice...

First choice implies there is a second choice, etc.

Last edited by Myridon; 01/09/08 05:04 PM.
M
addict
addict
M
Originally Posted By: belMarduk
Ah but Myridon, if you read further in the anybody-can-edit-whether-true-or-not site, you'll find "Male lions will never share food they have killed by themselves." ; which is also what I learned by watching documentaries done by National Geographic and Animal Planet.

Attacking a source and then using it yourself makes for a rather weak argument. (^_^)

As you were, I was merely using Wikipedia as a convenient "one-stop-shop" which went along with what I know about lions as a non-expert on lions. I haven't read the discussion or history pages of this particular topic but I doubt that the subject is very controversial or subject to much vandalism or bias. We would probably find that most of that article was directly copied from sources possibly even more trustworthy than the Eco Travel site which was quoted from yet remains unattacked (oops, I think I just attacked it ;-) sorry).

Last edited by Myridon; 01/09/08 07:00 PM.
A
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
A
I seem to recall watching a nature program on tv that said that other predators of the veldt will leave a portion of their kills for the lion. (This was not held up as the source of the phrase lion's share, however.) Better to pay your taxes than deal with a hungry lion, I suppose.

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Originally Posted By: Myridon
Originally Posted By: belMarduk
Ah but Myridon, if you read further in the anybody-can-edit-whether-true-or-not site, you'll find "Male lions will never share food they have killed by themselves." ; which is also what I learned by watching documentaries done by National Geographic and Animal Planet.

Attacking a source and then using it yourself makes for a rather weak argument. (^_^)

Yes, I know, I try not to site Wikipedia articles because I could be spreading misinformation.*

I simply wanted to bring to your attention that in the article that you were citing, there was more information lower down which said something different that what you’d implied when you said >>>It would seem most of you have not watched enough Animal Planet. Perhaps you can start with Wikipedia article about how lions hunt (note the photo caption "Sharing a zebra").

I added the National Geograpic and Animal Planet part because this is where I remember seeing info on the males being very persnickety about keeping the food to themselves, but I’m not an expert either and am not glued to the television, so I could be wrong.

What is that thingy with the parentheses and the accents circonflexes bits at the end of the first sentence ?

* I don’t want to start arguments here. I know Wikipedia is a starting off place for info and all, and all. I just prefer not using it as a proof for anything.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
> What is that thingy with the parentheses and the accents circonflexes bits at the end of the first sentence ?

(^_^)

a cute little face.

formerly known as etaoin...
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 435 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith