Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Wow! Thanks, Nuncle. I just got it from the good folks at Language Log:

Originally Posted By: Language Log
Robert Hartwell Fiske is wheeled out for his traditional cameo, guarding the moon from wolves.

You got a more literal translation of faisoit de la terre le foussé?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
the good folks at Language Log

Yes, after I'd read that I went looking for it's origin. Thought I'd share the fruits of my labor such that they were.

You got a more literal translation of faisoit de la terre le foussé?

Not totally sure, perhaps belMarduk can translate: something like "trying to make a ditch out of earth". I found it used another time by Balzac in one of his Contes drolatiques:

Or, force de faire esternuer ses escuz, tousser sa braguette, saigner les poinçons, resgualer les linottes coëffées et faire de la terre le foussé, se vit excommunié des gens de bien, n'ayant pour amis que les saccageurs de pays et les lombards. .

(Now by making his crowns sweat and his goods scarce, draining his land, and a bleeding his hogsheads, and regaling frail beauties, he found himself excommunicated from decent society, and had for his friends only the plunderers of towns and the Lombardians.)

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Can't help you there. Foussé is not a modern French word. The word fossé means a trench.

In the Balzac sentence, I take it to mean "make a dump" of the earth, more than a trench.

It seems to relate more to the word enfouir which means to bury in dirt, or fouir which means to dig a hole in the dirt. A "puis d'enfouissement" is a garbage dump.

Last edited by belMarduk; 01/22/08 06:19 PM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Thanks, belMarduk.

Foussé is not a modern French word. The word fossé means a trench.

One dictionary I looked at via Google books said that foussé was an archaic spelling of fossé. It's from Latin fossa 'ditch, trench'. It is interesting that ditch and dike are related: one is from Old English díc and the other from Old Norse díki 'ditch', from the same PIE root, *dhīgʷ- 'to stick, fix' (also IEW), where we get dig.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
One dictionary I looked at via Google books said that foussé was an archaic spelling of fossé

Ahhhh, well that explains it then...I'm only 46, hardly archaic (yet) so no wonder I didn't recognise the word. HA!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
"Faire de la terre le fossé"; c’est-à-dire se servir d’une chose pour en faire une autre.: to use something to make something else out of it. (recycling idea?)
I found this idiomatic expression on this page, final part of page.

faire de la terre le fossé

This page from the Voltaire integral looks like interesting history for Canadians and Americans. Strange site. (I hope you don't see this as politics, but as history.)

Jumonville

Last edited by BranShea; 01/23/08 01:52 PM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,322
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 501 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,535
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith