Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
M
addict
addict
M
While I leave you the perogative to change your mind at some point (and I would hope that there was reason behind the change), I won't accept that "I don't care" is equivalent to "I may start caring at any moment."

belM has suggested that we cannot make positive statements without qualifications, i.e. that what most people mean by "I eat peanuts" must be "I sometimes eat peanuts on occassion when I feel like it if they are available", and now theM says all negative statement must be also, i.e. that what most people mean by "I don't care" must now be "I don't care and I don't plan to anytime soon."

This is going to make for some very long conversations (sometimes, when we feel like discussing something, and if the opportunity arises).

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
>>Capisce?

Yup. Merci.

I also discussed it with Hubby yesterday at lunch since my mind was only seeing it in one way, and he used the same type of analogy as your window jumping, though not as ultimately splatty (his was an analogy using going to the movies v. eating cockroaches (do, and don't, in case anybody is wondering) )

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: belMarduk
(do, and don't, in case anybody is wondering) )

In the movie Vampire's Kiss Nicolas Cage actually did eat the cockroach. I heard that he washed his mouth out with vodka before and after the deed.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Right after the war in real life my laconic great aunt Nel praised the piece of meat she found in the red cabbage stew while eating it. My mother was sure she had not put any in.
My aunt laughed and said "well, it's meat anyway."
We children never forgot this impressive act and remark.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
And aren't we all of us lucky that we have the luxury of sitting around discussing words, on computers.

T
veteran
veteran
T
Speaking of eating cockroaches...in my gadabout youth I would occasionally eat a live bug to show my disdain for knee-jerk convention. Once while dining and drinking with friends at a sleazy restaurant in Panama City Florida a cockroach crawled across the table so I ate it. Cockroaches are not easy to eat (their wings are almost indigestible) so thereafter I avoided eating them whenever possible; but too late -- no matter that I was the King of the Bop on the beach -- my reputation as "Milo the Cockroach Eater" became itself a local social convention and so throughout that summer I ate cockroaches to impress the girls.

It was a strange summer, but safely home in Birmingham that fall I swore off eating cockroaches and instead ate other sundry insects to show my disdain of knee-jerks conventions and such.

Then one day at Ed Salem's Ice Cream Bar I ate a green moth. Don't ever eat a green moth. Green moths have a green toxin within their pasty bodies that keeps them for being eaten by all creatures in the know. I didn't know this and I turned green and threw up.

Call me a sissy or offer me one thousand dollars if you will, but I will never, ever, eat a green moth again.

Last edited by themilum; 01/18/08 04:58 AM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Here is some back up for bug eaters. May be you should pick it up again. See the recommendations.

insect Eaters

Honeyed locusts doesn't sound bad.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
locusts

While most insects are not kosher, there are four species of locusts which are: the red, yellow, spotted gray, and white locusts.

Quote:
Yet these may ye eat of all winged swarming things that go upon all fours, which have jointed legs above their feet, wherewith to leap upon the earth; even these of them ye may eat: the locust after its kinds, and the bald locust after its kinds, and the cricket after its kinds, and the grasshopper after its kinds. But all winged swarming things, which have four feet, are a detestable thing unto you. And by these ye shall become unclean; whosoever toucheth the carcass of them shall be unclean until even. (Lev. xi:21-4.)

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Milum, mon dieu, seems like a lot to do just to impress a girl. I'm not sure I'd wish to kiss you after you'd eaten a cockroach.

Did you not think of learning to juggle or some such; a man that's good with his hands, now that's something that'll turn a girl's head.

T
veteran
veteran
T
Originally Posted By: belMarduk
Milum, mon dieu, seems like a lot to do just to impress a girl. I'm not sure I'd wish to kiss you after you'd eaten a cockroach.

Did you not think of learning to juggle or some such; a man that's good with his hands, now that's something that'll turn a girl's head.

I tried, belmarduk. God knows I tried to think of some other way to impress the girls. I taught myself to give the "finger" (as an insult) by using only my middle right toe but with precious little impressment.

Bad move. The chicks at that time were practicing the art of "demurement" and consequencely they thought me odd.

And, as I hesitate to add, back then I wasn't as articulate with my hands as I was with my feet.

Back then.

Last edited by themilum; 01/18/08 04:44 AM.
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith